Eleonora,

It sounds like you have two shifts—one in the writing style and at least some of the time a hand shift as well since the source is primarily in the wife’s hand but with the corrections in Schenker’s hand.  With reference to Chapter 10.7.2 of the TEI Guidelines, I would put most of the information on these two kinds of shifts in the TEI header.  For hand shifts the Guidelines allow a reference back to the TEI header through the use of an empty element within the transcript itself, e.g. <handShift new="husband"/>.  I’m wondering if it is also possible in similar fashion to use an empty element, as in <handDesc xml:id=“Lateine”/>, to refer back to the <handDesc> in the TEI header whenever there is a shift from Lateineschrift to Sütterlinschrift (or vice versa).

Perhaps more knowledgeable folks will comment on this suggestion.

Debbie

On 2/13/08 3:04 PM, "Eleonora Litta Modignani Picozzi" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Yes, the shift is in the writing style.
Apparently Schenker used to correct the mistakes in what resulted from
his dictating his diary entries to his wife. Some of these corrections
include a shift in writing style within the same word where the word
resulted from the compound of a Latin/French loanword and a Germanic
suffix for example, so in /konsequent/erwise (the italics are just a
convention for who I am preparing this encoding model for) konsequent
was presumably written in Lateineschrift, while -erwise in
Sütterlinschrift [to see an example of this writing see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%BCtterlin]. I am saying presumaboy
because I haven't actually seen the source yet, but I am working only on
the basis of a related description.
Eleonora

--
Dr Eleonora Durban Litta Modignani Picozzi
Project Research Assistant
Centre for Computing in the Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane