LISTSERV Archives

TEI-SOM Home

TEI-SOM  September 2012

TEI-SOM September 2012

TEI XPointer scheme proposal

Gabriel Bodard <[log in to unmask]>

TEI Stand-Off Markup, XLink, XPointer WG

Tue, 25 Sep 2012 18:51:55 +0100

text/plain

Dear all,

Response to my last email on this subject having been deafening in its
silence, we didn't get much further in discussion of Hugh's XPointer
proposal
<http://docs.google.com/document/d/1JsMA-gOGrevyY-crzHGiC7eZ8XdV5H_wFTlUGzrf20w/edit>
at the TEI Council meeting last week. There is an action on me in the
minutes of that meeting to push this list to discuss the proposal further.

I understand that both Martin and Piotr had spotted some factual
inconsistencies in the proposal, and/or had concrete suggestions for
ways that a simpler (or existing) scheme could address the use-cases
suggested (especially is xpath2() is available. As a matter of priority
we need specific feedback from both of them on which cases they're
talking about, highlight issues and suggestions for
improvement/rationalization, so Hugh and others have something to
respond to.

If it turns out that everything we can imagine wanting to do--including
Stuart's use-cases, Hugh's Papyri examples, and Laurent's projects--is
logically addressable using existing XPointer schemes, well that would
be great! But we still need to write an actionable spec of those schemes
so that they can be properly implemented, right? So this discussion is
still necessary.

Thanks,

Gabby

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Research Associate in Digital Epigraphy)

Department of Digital Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL