Print

From:    Andreas Johansson <[log in to unmask]>
> Quoting Costentin Cornomorus <[log in to unmask]>:
> > >Just doesn't say it
> > > aloud
> > > for fear of seeming too "heathen" and
> > > "Asia-centric"
> >
> > Well, I'm not sure how much worse/more strongly
> > put his Asiacentrism can be.
>
> I'm a native speaker of neither Latin nor English, but I'd
> expected "asiocentric". Am I wrong, and, if yes, why?

For me, Padraic's "Asiacentrism" is grammatically a compound word,
which I would probably spell "Asia-centrism". In contrast, "Asiocentrism"
(which in the standard needs capitalization) is formed from the bound
morph _Asi-_ 'Asia'. There are thus two morphological processes that
are assigned to the same basic lexical meaning.

Thomas Wier            "I find it useful to meet my subjects personally,
Chicago, IL 60637