Help for Author's Address

Help for Since

Help for Until

LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU ( 45 Matches )

Subject

From

Date

Time

Re: Organizing Logographic languages, was Proper Names in a Soundless Language Gary Shannon <[log in to unmask]> 2010-02-15 16:30
Fragmentz (fragz.ttf) - <http://fiziwig.com/conlang/glyph/fragz01.html>
Tinkerfont - <http://fiziwig.com/conlang/glyph/tinkerfont.html>
Re: TECH: Fonts on the Web? (was Re: Kjaginic: 8 points of articulation) Eric Christopherson <[log in to unmask]> 2008-10-03 02:09
> piece of a character. A string of characters in ASCII builds a
> single character in the "Tinkerfont" (as in "Tinker Toy font").
> Think of a seven-segment digital display on a digital clock, but
Re: TECH: Fonts on the Web? (was Re: Kjaginic: 8 points of articulation) deinx nxtxr <[log in to unmask]> 2008-10-02 15:36
> characters in ASCII builds a single character in the
> "Tinkerfont" (as in "Tinker Toy font"). Think of a
> seven-segment digital display on a digital clock, but with 50
Re: TECH: Fonts on the Web? (was Re: Kjaginic: 8 points of articulation) Gary Shannon <[log in to unmask]> 2008-10-02 12:49
A while back, (Feb, 2005 through Oct 2005) there was a thread on the list about my "does-everything" font. Just as a reminder, I came up with a single font that could be used for any conscript, or any pictographic language whatsoever. Each symbol of the font is a piece of a character. A string of characters in ASCII builds a single character in the "Tinkerfont" (as in "Tinker Toy font"). Think of a seven-segment digital display on a digital clock, but with 50 or more segments.
<http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?S2=CONLANG&q=tinkerfont&s=&f=&a=&b=>
Re: A single font can display ANY alphabet, pictograph, or rune Jean-François Colson <[log in to unmask]> 2005-10-14 16:12

>> > it's not urgent. But if a certain system of tinkerfont is
>> > ever developed, it needs to be a kind of standard for sharing
Re: A single font can display ANY alphabet, pictograph, or rune Isaac Penzev <[log in to unmask]> 2005-10-14 08:30
> > it's not urgent. But if a certain system of tinkerfont is
> > ever developed, it needs to be a kind of standard for sharing conscripts
Re: A single font can display ANY alphabet, pictograph, or rune Jean-François Colson <[log in to unmask]> 2005-10-14 08:00
to make new TrueType fonts using the METAFONT language.
The main advantages of TinkerFont is that it can be used efficiently after a
few minutes and that your correspondents can see texts in your new scripts
without having to install new fonts every time. Characters drawn with
TinkerFont are only approximations of the real characters and you can use
GIF files in your Web Pages. But Are GIF files allowed on this list?
Re: A single font can display ANY alphabet, pictograph, or rune Jean-François Colson <[log in to unmask]> 2005-10-14 07:14
> >> http://users.belgacom.net/bn130627/TinkerFont/.
> >> I'm making a TinkerFont font I'll add later.

have been designed for 3 or 4 cells high characters.
With the TinkerFont font which, BTW, has been updated a few minutes ago, you
could type W0wYK0HXZL0z0SefghijkzL0z20K600
With "Tinker Toy Font 2" and "TinkerFont" you first type the column elements
in the order of your choice, including the horizontals, and you move the
cursor to the following column using the lowercase "x" for "Tinker Toy Font
2" and the digit "0" for "TinkerFont". Use Gary's mapping at
http://fiziwig.com/tinkerfont.html for "Tinker Font 2" and my mapping at
http://users.belgacom.net/bn130627/TinkerFont/ for "TinkerFont".
Re: A single font can display ANY alphabet, pictograph, or rune Jean-François Colson <[log in to unmask]> 2005-10-14 05:37
> it's not urgent. But if a certain system of tinkerfont is
> ever developed, it needs to be a kind of standard for sharing conscripts
Re: A single font can display ANY alphabet, pictograph, or rune Isaac Penzev <[log in to unmask]> 2005-10-14 04:22
Well, I'm not sure if Tinker Toy can do it, but in Jean-François Colson's
TinkerFont is is easy: U0uWI0FVXJ0x0QcdefghxiJ0xz0IY
JFC TinkerFont can handle *approximations* for quite complex scripts, e.g.
Tamil "ka":
Re: A single font can display ANY alphabet, pictograph, or rune tomhchappell <[log in to unmask]> 2005-10-13 20:31
> want to try how to figure out such a complex glyph with a
Tinkerfont,
> but provide a .gif file. Is this too pragmatic?? :-)
like
> tinkerfont as well. :-)

Re: A single font can display ANY alphabet, pictograph, or rune Henrik Theiling <[log in to unmask]> 2005-10-12 18:53
that handle bezier curves directly. I.e., graphics mode. I would not
want to try how to figure out such a complex glyph with a Tinkerfont,
but provide a .gif file. Is this too pragmatic?? :-)
Anyway, as everyone with a monospaced font can see: ASCII art is like
tinkerfont as well. :-)
Re: A single font can display ANY alphabet, pictograph, or rune Carsten Becker <[log in to unmask]> 2005-10-12 07:39
>> http://users.belgacom.net/bn130627/TinkerFont/.
>> I'm making a TinkerFont font I'll add later.

Re: A single font can display ANY alphabet, pictograph, or rune Gary Shannon <[log in to unmask]> 2005-10-10 21:51
> http://users.belgacom.net/bn130627/TinkerFont/.
> I'm making a TinkerFont font I'll add later.

Re: A single font can display ANY alphabet, pictograph, or rune Isaac Penzev <[log in to unmask]> 2005-10-10 12:39
Thank you, Jean, it's not urgent. But if a certain system of tinkerfont is
ever developed, it needs to be a kind of standard for sharing conscripts ;)
Re: A single font can display ANY alphabet, pictograph, or rune Jean-François Colson <[log in to unmask]> 2005-10-10 08:41
>> http://users.belgacom.net/bn130627/TinkerFont/.
>> I'm making a TinkerFont font I'll add later.

Re: A single font can display ANY alphabet, pictograph, or rune Isaac Penzev <[log in to unmask]> 2005-10-10 07:51
> http://users.belgacom.net/bn130627/TinkerFont/.
> I'm making a TinkerFont font I'll add later.
Re: A single font can display ANY alphabet, pictograph, or rune Jean-François Colson <[log in to unmask]> 2005-10-09 09:38
http://users.belgacom.net/bn130627/TinkerFont/.
I'm making a TinkerFont font I'll add later.
Re: OFFLIST: Re: TinkerFont progress report Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]> 2005-03-01 13:49
From: Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: OFFLIST: Re: TinkerFont progress report
Re: OFFLIST: Re: TinkerFont progress report Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]> 2005-03-01 12:57
From: Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]>
Re: TinkerFont progress report Muke Tever <[log in to unmask]> 2005-02-28 12:28
Subject: Re: TinkerFont progress report
From: Gary Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
From: Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]>
Re: TinkerFont progress report Gary Shannon <[log in to unmask]> 2005-02-27 19:17
From: Gary Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
From: Phil Bordelon <[log in to unmask]>
From: Gary Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: TinkerFont progress report
I finally worked out a simpler way to do the
TinkerFont idea. It's not quite as elegant as it
might be, but I think it's very do-able and a step in
Re: Tinkerfont - Any con-alphabet you want it to be Tristan McLeay <[log in to unmask]> 2005-02-26 09:38
From: Tristan McLeay <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Tinkerfont - Any con-alphabet you want it to be
From: Carsten Becker <[log in to unmask]>
TinkerFont - Caligraphic style Gary Shannon <[log in to unmask]> 2005-02-25 17:57
From: Gary Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: TinkerFont - Caligraphic style
Re: LUNATIC SURVEY: 2005 Geoff Horswood <[log in to unmask]> 2005-02-25 14:10
Gary's tinkerfont stuff looks amazing, for one.
Re: Tinkerfont - Any con-alphabet you want it to be Tim May <[log in to unmask]> 2005-02-24 22:05
From: Tim May <[log in to unmask]>

> > Tinkerfont
> >
> > Then it occured to me that it would be neat to have what I'm
> > calling a "tinker toy font", or "tinkerfont" where each ASCII
> > letter on the keyboard would not represent a whole character, but
> > only some piece of the character. For example, suppose "A" in
> > the tinkerfont drew a left-side vertical ascender, while "D" drew
> > a right-side hooked descender, and "o" drew a circular body while
Re: Tinkerfont - Any con-alphabet you want it to be Gary Shannon <[log in to unmask]> 2005-02-24 20:13
From: Gary Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
From: Etak <[log in to unmask]>

> Tinkerfont

Re: Tinkerfont - Any con-alphabet you want it to be Stephen Mulraney <[log in to unmask]> 2005-02-24 15:10
From: Stephen Mulraney <[log in to unmask]>
From: Gary Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
> Tinkerfont

Re: Tinkerfont - Any con-alphabet you want it to be Keith Gaughan <[log in to unmask]> 2005-02-24 03:21
From: Keith Gaughan <[log in to unmask]>
From: "Martha C. Cardenas" <[log in to unmask]>
Re: Tinkerfont - Any con-alphabet you want it to be Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]> 2005-02-24 01:10
From: Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>
From: Nokta Kanto <[log in to unmask]>
Re: Tinkerfont - Any con-alphabet you want it to be Jean-François Colson <[log in to unmask]> 2005-02-23 11:04
From: Jean-François Colson <[log in to unmask]>
> Tinkerfont
>
> Then it occured to me that it would be neat to have
> what I'm calling a "tinker toy font", or "tinkerfont"
> where each ASCII letter on the keyboard would not
> the character. For example, suppose "A" in the
> tinkerfont drew a left-side vertical ascender, while
> "D" drew a right-side hooked descender, and "o" drew a
> to invent their own alphabet for their favorite
> conlang could use the tinkerfont and just discover new
> combinations of the existing ascenders, descenders,
>
> The tinkerfont would not be capable of displaying
> every possible written character, but it would give
> alphabets with each other without having to download a
> zillion different fonts. The single tinkerfont would
> be all you'd need. Then to share your alphabet you'd
Re: Tinkerfont - Any con-alphabet you want it to be Gary Shannon <[log in to unmask]> 2005-02-22 21:07
From: Gary Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > Tinkerfont
Thanks. Here's another idea that just came to me.
With tinkerfont you can literally DESIGN a font using
MS Word, or any other word processor that will let you
load the Tinkerfont.ttf. You can type in the glyph
pieces and see instantly how they look when assembled
With these two pieces; Tinkerfont and the conversion
program you could build a brand new conlang font from
Plus, once I get Tinkerfont done I could create a
several versions of it for a sans serif tinkerfont
like Arial or Tahoma, a serif tinkerfont like Times
New Roman or Bookman, a script-style tinkerfont, a
brush style like comic, a bold and italic, or outline
Re: Tinkerfont - Any con-alphabet you want it to be Jonathyn Bet'nct <[log in to unmask]> 2005-02-22 19:42
From: Jonathyn Bet'nct <[log in to unmask]>
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:33:56 -0800, Gary Shannon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Tinkerfont
>
> Then it occured to me that it would be neat to have
> what I'm calling a "tinker toy font", or "tinkerfont"
> where each ASCII letter on the keyboard would not
> the character. For example, suppose "A" in the
> tinkerfont drew a left-side vertical ascender, while
> "D" drew a right-side hooked descender, and "o" drew a
Re: Tinkerfont - Any con-alphabet you want it to be Gary Shannon <[log in to unmask]> 2005-02-22 17:40