Print

Playing around on the net last night, I dug up two Ido book services and
their on-line catalogues. As some here will know, my special interest in
Esperanto is its literature. So I copied the catalogues, threw out all the
textbooks, dictionaries and explanations as to why Ido is good and
Esperanto is bad, and ended up with the 69 works listed below. These are,
presumably, and unlike the other books, counterarguments to the argument
(which Esperanto speakers also have to put up with) that "Ido is useful
only for talking about Ido".

Those who want to purchase any of these books (or the others that I
ignored) should visit the following pages:

http://members.aol.com/idolinguo/katalog.html (the Ido-Librerio in Cardiff,
Wales)
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/8009/Ido-libri.html (the Germana
Ido-Societo in Waldkappel)

I've broken publication down by decades, staring in 1908 (a decade which
began somewhat less than three months after the meeting of the Delegation
Committee). The period ends, conveniently, in 1997; neither of these book
services is advertising any later work, though I know there have been some
-- maybe the pages just haven't been updated. (*****) The four values given
after the dates of the decade in question are as follows:

(number of books in the decade (number available in original edition, not
just as unbound photocopies) (****) / total number of pages listed /
extrapolated number of pages for all the books given)

Note that when I cite figures for some given period below, I'm quoting the
books available at the two book services in question, not total number of
books published; though I see no reason to suppose (especially as one of
the two services is counting photocopiable books, not simply books in
stock) that the two figures will be all that different.

Some interesting (to me) conclusions:

(1) Almost half of all these works (*) were published in the two decades
between 1918 and 1937. (**)

(2) Numbers declined considerably during the wartime period; from 1934
through 1955 only five books are available, totalling (even after
extrapolation) fewer than 100 pages. We may assume that other books, no
longer available, were published in the same period; but given the number
that have survived from the twenties and early thirties, we can also assume
that there were not many of them. Esperanto went through a similar period,
though of course not to this extent; and its (relatively) dry period ended
in the late forties. (***)

(3) Referring back to (2), all five of those books were the product of one
person: Gilbert H. Richardson, who was apparently something of a poet. I
seem to vaguely remember reading somewhere that this Richardson was the
brother of the Quaker mathematician Sir Lewis Fry Richardson, whose work on
the mathematics of conflict can still be read with profit, and who was the
first to conceive of the meteorological forecast center as we know it today
(though his computers were people, not machines); and that this Gilbert
Richardson was the Idist poet to whom L. N. M. Newell dedicated his poem
"La lasta"
(http://donh.best.vwh.net/Esperanto/Literaturo/Poezio/dekdu/newell/lasta.html)
.

(4) Though the two decades starting in 1968 were not a real renaissance in
number of books, they definitely were in terms of number of pages. This
appears to be largely due to the publication of the two volumes of the
"Antologio dil Ido", which was edited by Andreas Juste, and which seems to
have sold well enough (what was the print run?) that today they are
available only in photocopy form. (Some of the contents of at least the
first volume appear to be available on-line; I forget where, but you can
Google it, using the phrase "Antologio dil Ido".)

(5) Juste appears to be the primary Ido literateur, not just (as literarily
competent Idists insist) the best poet, of his period, at least as books in
Ido are currently available; of the 12 literary works dating from
1963-1979, six of them are by him, and two of the others (the "Antologio")
were edited by him. Juste also appears to have been prolific; though his
first two books were short (though perhaps a bit longer than the average
work by Richardson), the other four were, in terms of volume, deserving of
attention, including what appears to be a 177-page epic poem.

---

(*) Perhaps more than half. There are six volumes hanging around at the
bottom which were listed without publication date, and if only one of these
was published in the mentioned period, it would put that period over the top.

(**) There is, actually, a reasonable explanation for this. The Ido
movement basically imploded after 1922, probably due to the publication of
Wahl's Occidental; by 1924, according to Stojan ("Bibliografio de
Internacia Lingvo"), a large majority of those periodicals which had been
available in 1922 had simply disappeared, with nothing to replace them.
It's quite possible that most books published before 1922 actually sold
fairly well; and by the early thirties, at the latest, Ido book publishing
would have slowed down considerably to match its market. But there would
have been a period in there during which books published for a pre-1922
movement would have simply sat in stock, and would still be available
today. It's worth noting that the vast majority of all the books from these
two decades were published in the period 1923-1932.

(***) Actually, I was thinking in terms of novels (which may be a reliable
indicator of total number of books published; I don't know for sure). Going
back to the table in Auld's "Vereco Distro Stilo" I find that Esperanto's
dry period was actually a two-parter. The first part started in 1940 (after
publication of Engholm's "Infanoj en Torento", second volume, in 1939) and
ended in 1945 with publication of Egerrup's "D-ro Dorner"; it pretty
closely matched the duration of World War II in Europe. The second part
lasted from 1951-1957 (1950: Cezaro Rossetti's "Kredu min, sinjorino!"
until 1958: Szathmari's "Vojag^o al Kazohinio" and Szilagyi's "Tiel okazis
au^ mistero minora"), which pretty closely matches the period of the "Great
Silence" in Eastern Europe. However, much of the second period was occupied
with other types of books (e.g. poetry and short-story collections from the
recently founded "Stafeto" publishing house, and such literary magazines as
"Norda Prismo" and "La Nica Literatura Revuo").

(****) I counted only the (F/P) books from the Ido-Librerio as photocopies;
however, the German service indicates, in its catalogue, that a large
number of the books it provides are also photocopies. Please take note of
this if you decide to order something from them!

(*****) I don't count books in electronic format here. For those
interested, Goncalo Neves of Editerio Sudo
(http://www.europa.idolinguo.com/Portugal/EditerioSudo/) put on-line,
between April and June 2002, four works of his in Ido: an original
collection of poetry, the translated of a long (one thousand lines) poem by
Fernando Pessoa, a collection of proverbs, and a set of several Portuguese
fables. Whether there are paper equivalents, I don't know.

---

1908-1917: (6 (5) / 110p / 132p)
Jesu Kristo, Sa biografio segun la quar evangelyi, da J. Bapt. Pinth, 1908
Aviacado ed Aeroplani (Painlevé, trad. de Guesnet), 28pp, 1910, kun
fotografuri di anciena aeroplani
Mozaiko (Ahlberg), 31pp, 1913, fabli e rakonti
Buddho e sua Doktrino (redaktita da C.T. Strauss), 19pp, c. 1916 (F/P)
Kelka Vorti pri la Sporto (trad. Ahlberg), 17pp, 1917, Ido e sueda
Makedonia al Makedoniani (trad. Popescu-Hagiul). 15pp, 1917

1918-1927: (18 (15) / 683p / 768p)
Unesma Lektolibro (diversa autori), Parto Unesma, 72pp, 1920
La Libro del 100 Marveli (Janotta), 23pp, 1921, kolekturo de interesiva ma
generale ne-utila fakti
Unesma Lektolibro (diversa autori), Parto Duesma, 80pp, 1921
Lektolibro di Ido (Talmey), 32pp, 1922, inkluzas noti pri stilo (F/P)
D'Mumm Se's (Dicks, trad. Meier), 28pp, 1924, komedio en un akto, trad. del
dialekto di Luxemburgia
Agi dil Apostoli, 71pp, c. 1925 (F/P)
En la Mariaj-kontoro (Meinecke, trad. Noetzli), 23pp, c. 1925, dramateto
Glinaji tra la mondo Idista (aranjita da E. Bogard), 35pp, 1925
La Karaktero Usana (Brander Matthews, trad. Marelius), 14pp, 1925
La Libro pri Esther (Kofman), 16pp, 1925, pri Esther dil Biblo
La nimfo, da da Elin-Pelin, trad. de la Bulgara da Th. Kaneff,
Mondo-Biblioteko IV, Editerio P. Ahlberg, Stockholm, 1925
Evangelio da Santa Lukas (trad. L. Kauling), 90pp, 1926 (F/P)
La Mento Internaciona (C. Delisle Burns) kun La Bezono di Mento
Internaciona (Carmichael), (trad. Marelius), 11pp, 1926
Polyeuktos, martiro (P. Corneille, trad. J. Houillon), 87pp, 1926, kristana
tragedio
Esther (J. Racine, trad. J. Guignon), 52pp, 1927, tragedio
Flugo (Richardson), 20pp, 1927, poemi
Korokanti e Kansoni (Sweetlove), 29pp, 1927
Flugo, temo ca-diala en versi moderna, mezepokala ed antiqua da Gilbert H.
Richardson, 1927.

1928-1937: (16 (16) / 412p / 600p)
Alpi-Rozi (Jules Gross), 31pp, 1928, legendi e poemi
Proboflugi sur Pegazo (Sweetlove), 90pp, 1929, poemi
Spaco e tempo, Ido-versaro da Gilbert H. Richardson, 2ma edituro 1929
Diskurso al Yunaro (Jean Jaures, trad.), 14pp, c. 1930
La Europana Uniono (Cl. Richter, trad. Max Jacob), 24pp, c. 1930
La Kantistino (Hauff), 48pp, c. 1930, romaneto
La Moderna Farnavo (Buchardt), 7pp, c. 1930
La Ondo - Die Welle (Scheu-Riesz), 24pp, c. 1930, rakonteto en Ido e germana
Nova Horizonti (Barral), 125pp, c. 1930, historio universala, generale
interesiva; harda kovrilo
L'Aventuro di Mikra Vigg lor la Kristnaskala Vigilio (Rydberg, trad.
Forsten), 20pp, 1932, rakonto
Kad ekonomiala krizi esas evitebla, da J. Zu"llig, St.Gallen, 1932
La nova vesti dil imperiestro, H.C. Andersen, Verlag La Libera
Laboristo/Berlin (Paul Lehnigk), cirk. 1932
Lo Bela kom Principo Linguala (Quarfood), 13pp, 1933
Egiptia, vizito en 1895, deskriptita en Ido da Gilbert H. Richardson,
Antwerpen, 1934
Naturo ed Arto, da Gilbert H. Richardson, 1934
Fakti e Fantaziuri (Richardson), 16pp, 1936, poemi

1938-1947: (2 (2) / 26p / 26p)
Deliberado e Revado (Richardson), 18pp, 1938, poemi
Ulo pri Poezio (Richardson), 8pp, 1946

1948-1957: (1 (1) / 46p / 46p)
Mea Voyajo a Tahiti e Mondo-Turo (Vinez), 46pp, 1956, kun fotografuri

1958-1967: (5 (5) / 57p / 71p)
Abou Kharboosh, La sultano di la simii, da Kamil Kilany, Kairo. tradukita
da Ursula Jahn
Cienco e Deo (trad. Auerbach), 11pp, 1961, kontroverso publika inter Sir
Julian Huxley e Dr E. Mascall
Pri Suisia (Cornioley), 7pp, 1962
Soneti (A. Juste), 22pp, 1963
Odo a Couturat (A. Juste), 17pp, 1964

1968-1977: (7 (6) / 557p / 780p)
La Problemo dil Paco (Schweitzer, trad. Waterkotte), 11pp, 1971
Interhelpo, editita dal Ido-grupo "Amikeso", Kiev 1971
La Serchado (A. Juste), 177pp, 1972. Poemo hero-komika en dek kanti
Antologio dil Idolinguo, Tomo I, 1908-1928 (diversa autori), 274pp,
1973.  -- Kompilita da A. Juste (F/P)
La Fabli dil Olda Korvo (A. Juste), 36pp, 1973. Poemi
Vitra Perli (A. Juste), 59pp, c. 1975. Poemi
Voyajo ad Azia, deskripto di voyajo a Sri Lanka 1977

1978-1987: (4 (1) / 542p / 542p)
Bunta Garbo (A. Juste), 93pp, 1978. Poemi (F/P)
Enoch Arden (Tennyson, trad. Lui Pasko), 57pp, 1978. Poezio (F/P)
Antologio dil Idolinguo, Tomo II, 1929-1949 (diversa autori), 275+89pp,
1979, harda kovrilo.  -- Kompilita da A. Juste (F/P)
La Misterio di Valo Boscombe (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, trad. David Weston),
28pp, 1985

1988-1997: (4 (3) / 20p / 80p)
Galimatiaso (Heidi Neussner), 20pp, 1988. Poemi (F/P)
Dhammapada, Budhista versaro, tradukita da Max Jacob segun la Germana
tradukuro (l'originalo esas en Pali). Edituro 1994
La pekuniala teorio di Silvio Gesell, da Hermann Bartels, Kleve (Germania)
kurtigite tradukita ad Ido da Alfred Neussner, 1996
Galimatiaso, poemi da Heidi Neussner, 3ma edituro 1997

(6 (6) / 8p / 48p)
Araba Rakonti, tradukita ad Ido da d-ro Samia Al Azharia Jahn, Sueda
Ido-Federuro, Hoting
La Damo de Efesus ek le Satirikon CXI (C. Petrone, trad. Laurent), 8pp
Kelka kulmini di Germana klasika literaturo, kurta parti ek verki da
Goethe, Schiller e Lessing, tradukita da Heidi Neussner
La marveloza insulo Barataria, da Silvio Gesell, trad. da A. Neussner
Populkansoni en Ido da Arthur Schiffman ed altri, Ido-Centrale Berlin
Vivo di nia bona Iesu, (kun ombro desegnuri, simila a desegnuri-strii),

-- Don HARLOW

Pasis longa voj'
Iri ĉi tien de for;
Pasis longa temp',