Print

 As for the Kamakawi word "nelimilen," glossed as "martyr," I'd have to
look it up in my Comprehensive Dictionary of the Kamakawi Tongue, which I
keep next to my Encyclopaedia of Tlön, Uqbar, and Orbis Tertius.  However,
I've lent both books out, so I'll just have to guess as to the origin of
this word, for I rather doubt that it's related to the word for "witness,"
as is our word "martyr."
Here are some possibilities:

1) Nelimilen is the word for "beached whale," as well as for the folkloric
Spirit Nelimilen who tricks whales and sailors into crashing upon the
shore.  Eventually the word came to mean anyone who saw or almost fell
victim to such a calamity.

2) Nelimilen was the name of a famed fisherman long ago who was obsessed
with hunting the Great White Squid.  In this epic tale, still memorized by
Kamakawi children to this day, Nelimilen ends up dying in his quest to slay
the Great White Squid.
A famous quotation from this poem (which, alas, I only have in the English
translation) runs as follows:

"He tasks me!  He tasks me, and I shall have him!  I'll chase him round the
Moons of Fith and round the Sheli Maestrom and round Solresol's flames
before I give him up.  Prepare to alter course!"

The name Nelimilen is no longer given to Kamakawi children, but, however,
the name of his young cousin still is.  This younger cousin is mentioned in
the first line of the poem -- "Call me Ikemahel."
 3)  Nelimilen is a very, very old borrowing from Middle Zhyler which has
completely been assimilated into the Kamakawi collective.

As for the rest of these lessons, as we all know, I'm a very bad typist (at
least in English), and a very bad speller (especially in English).  So,
alas, I actually knew that the word Spanyän meant Spain ... though no
matter how many times I read my translation, my brain did not seem to know.
 (I read each of my emails about four times, and I still don't catch these
mistakes).  I most certainly knew Suzette's last name, considering that I
have her dictionary on one of these shelves beside me.  I agree with Alex
though ... the Volapük lessons would be extra fun if Samül and his family
just blasted off into space.  I consider Volapük to be a steampunk
language, so I expect goggles, corsets, giant steam powered spiders, Queen
Victoria in a rocket powered zeppelin fleet, and other feats of improbable
science with my Volapük, thank you very much.

I'll look at Kash when I have a moment.  Personally I would prefer to look
at lessons of personal languages, or at least less widely known languages,
since there are already communities around for Klingon and Volapük and the
like.  Kash does get extra points for having words for Dragons -- kundapor
and açakon -- though I can't find a word for "clockwork," "ballet," or
"princess," which surely should be part of any basic vocabulary.

Speaking of basic vocabulary, I always find it funny word words are listed
in the first lesson of a language.  It seems to give a feel to each
language.  In these first lessons, this is how we're introduced to these
languages:

Klingon: tooth, hit, hand, language ...
Borg: airlock, assimilate, conquer, prosthesis ...
Láadan: tired, woman/person, sibling-by-birth, grass ...
Volapük: student, university, town, Spain ...
Tsolyáni: pen, paper, book, floor ...
Kamakawi: fish, mushroom, lava, martyr ...

Alas, happiness is not the mushroom ...