AUXLANG February 1999, Week 5

Re: Experiment&

Robin Gaskell <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 28 Feb 1999 23:03:18 +1100

At 09:48 19/02/99 -0700, Bob Petry wrote:
>Robin Turner wrote:
>> A word on test design ....
>> One problem with Mike's Occ test is very common in tests of reading
comprehension:
>> it is sometimes possible to choose the correct answer by looking at the
sentence
*   Is true.
    But the Occ. experiment was testing very different abilities: how do we
make sense of a language we think we might be able to understand from the
clues of context, syntax and intuition?

    Mike's Experiment report was highly motivational for me: I spent my day
off writing my own thesis statement and set o