AUXLANG September 2000, Week 4

Re: Names for letters

Risto Kupsala <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 23 Sep 2000 12:02:08 +0300

Le Cavallero wrote:

>> This is how it should be: let's mark all the voiced
>> consonants with -a and unvoiced consonants with -o.
>> So that: ba po da to va fo (vs. be pe de te ve fe)?
>> The chance of misunderstanding would reduce highly,
>
> This strikes me as very reasonable.
> Can you please give a suggestion for a full alphabet, including the
> more problematic letters, like x, y, h?

Thanks! I cannot give you a presentation of the full alphabet, because it is not clear to me what kind of phonemes some of the letters would represent. For example, is c ts or k, and what are the roles of j and y.
The sistem I presented is a part of my very own (unfinished) language project (don't we all have our own projects?), and its alphabet is very much different to those presented. I just wanted to give a little aid in recognising the voiced and unvoiced sounds, because I didn't even know that they have some sort of connection until I read a book about phonemics two years ago.

Anyhow letters like h y and x might be marked with -e (he, ye kse). What still remains and puzzles me are the letters like m n l and r which are clearly voiced sounds, but they don't have any unvoiced counterparts. Should they be also marked with -a or rather with -e???

Regards,
Risto Kupsala

Osoitteesta www.sunpoint.net löydät riittävästi sopivan kokoisia operaattorilogoja komistamaan matkapuhelimesi näyttöä.
    http://www.sunpoint.net/SunAds/click.htm?mode=footer&id=&jump=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sunpoint.net%2Flogo%2F