CONLANG  May 2004, Week 4

CONLANG May 2004, Week 4

Re: Words of the day: "box" and "bolt"

Peter Bleackley <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 26 May 2004 14:45:19 +0100

Staving Philippe Caquant:
>I always felt very perplex about the expression "to
>screw" (somebody). To me this supposes kind of a
>rotating movement - clockwise, usually. I'm afraid we
>don't use the same method at all. (BTW, we usually
>don't drill the hole ourselves neither).

English vocabulary is endlessly creative in matters of sex and drinking.

Form the play "Battle Royal", Caroline of Brunswick, newly arrived in
England, has set her maid the task of researching English slang for her. On
asking why a certain body part is referred to as "the old hat", she is
told, "Because it is frequently felt!"

Pete