CONLANG  December 2003, Week 1

CONLANG December 2003, Week 1

Re: OT: French/English etymology question: "sauf"/"save"

Costentin Cornomorus <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 5 Dec 2003 08:33:18 -0800

--- "Douglas Koller, Latin & French"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Mark questions:
>
> >Since I know that "si" means "if",
> >I gather that "sauf" by itself means "except",
> and I was wondering
> >if this were
> >related to the identical (somewhat outdated)
> meaning of English "save".
> >This is purely idle speculation on my part,
> and I have done no research;
> >I just thought someone here might already know
> the answer.
>
> I've always assumed so and therefore never
> researched it, but the OED
> says "yes".

Yeah, and it's not outdated at all. All save one;
I'll do it, saving that it's legal; contents
sterile saving that packet is uncompromised.

Padraic.

=====
la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.

--

Ill Bethisad --
<http://www.geocities.com/elemtilas/ill_bethisad>

Come visit The World! --