CONLANG  August 2010, Week 4

CONLANG August 2010, Week 4

Re: "Fiat lingua" in your conlang(s)

R A Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 23 Aug 2010 08:28:56 +0100

Tony Harris wrote:
> The Latin is a take-off of the Biblical phrase "Fiat
> lux!" in Genesis 1:3, which is literally "Be-made light!"
> and is the passive present subjunctive of "Facere" (to
> make) I think.

"fiat" _may_ serve as the passive present subjunctive of
"facere"; but the verb "fieri", of which "fiat" is the
present subjunctive, also means "to become", "to come into
being."

> It is taken to mean "Let there be light!"
> and is from the Hebrew "Y'hīy ōr!" which is perhaps more
> literally "Be light!" as in "Let light be being in
> existance" more or less.

...which is what I've always understood the Latin "Fiat lux"
to mean - "Let light come into existence!"

> In the Esperanto Bible, that's
> actually translated as "Estu lumo!" so perhaps actually
> "Estu lingvo!" might even be the best translation, even
> if in our conlanging case "Fariĝu lingvo!" might be more
> accurate.

Wouldn't "Estu lingvo!" be more accurate?
----------------------------------

Another well-known "fiat" comes in the Lord's Prayer:
Fiat voluntas tua - Thy will be done (Matt. 6:10)

Both there and in the "Let there be light" verse from
Genesis, the Greek Bible has γενηθήτω which is the 3rd
singular aorist [i.e. perfective] imperative of γίγνεσθαι
"to become", "to come into being/existence." So the TAKE (το
άνευ κλίσι Ελληνικό) version  will have ίθι γένε.

OK - here are phrases in TAKE.

Fiat lingua
ίθι γένε γλώσσο

conlang
τεχνητό γλώσσο

-friendly greeting_
χαίρε
(Literally "rejoice", just as in ancient & Koine Greek).

--
Ray