CONLANG  June 2013, Week 4

CONLANG June 2013, Week 4

Fwd: writing (almost) entirely in lower-case letters

"G. van der Vegt" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 24 Jun 2013 16:35:46 +0200

(Onlist this time, didn't notice a reply-to was set.)

> There is no reason to force the case conventions of English onto another language just
> because those conventions happen to convenient and familiar to English readers! When
> transcribing my own conlangs using Latin script, I dó in fact at times use something
> approaching an English mode of capitalisation -- as you say, it is useful and convenient
> and familiar. But I don't hold anyone else to following that same practice; and I don't
> even follow it consistently for all languages.

I strongly disagree. The point of transliteration is to make things
convenient and familiar to the users of the target orthography, and
most (if not all) languages which have the Latin script as their
native script use capitalization, and most of those capitalize the
things English do (the main exceptions I know capitalize more, not
less.)

For example, the various forms of ローマ字 (romaji, Latin script
transliteration of Japanese) tend to follow fairly typical Latin
script-based capitalization script despite Japanese lacking any
capitalization. This is, of course, because they are not used for the
Japanese themselves but the foreigners who don't read Japanese.

In short, if you're transliterating a language, you're already
catering to people who don't speak the language. You might as well go
all the way.