CONLANG  January 2017, Week 1

CONLANG January 2017, Week 1

Re: CONSCRIPT: Towards an Indigenous Dictionary of Siye

Garth Wallace <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 3 Jan 2017 12:35:49 -0800

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 10:48 AM, Anthony Miles <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]
> mother. A mother can have a smaller component modifying it – this,
> unsurprisingly, is called a daughter. There can only be one mother in a
> character, but there can be multiple daughters.  Sometimes there is an even
> smaller component and Companying the daughter.  This component is called a
> granddaughter.  Some characters only have daughters;  in these cases the
> daughters in question are referred to as orphans, but any smaller component
> is still called a granddaughter. A mother can be reduced in size and become
> a daughter, but in that case any daughters of the former mother disappear.
> The most common mothers to become daughters of a different mother are the
> vowels it disappear as characters during vowel contraction - The vowel of
> the new character is determined by vowel dominance.  But I feel it is more
> important to sort out the basic characters first, so I'll put off that
> discussion until another day.  The primary importance of secondary
> characters in this discussion is that they are often homophonous wWith
> primary characters but theoir restricted usage prevents confusion.
>
> So my next task was to establish an  indigenous order of the characters. I
> examined Chinese characters stroke order  and organization by number of
> strokes.  In Keno Siye ( The name for the writing system),  which runs from
> left to right  on the level of completed characters,  a vertical downward
> stroke is usually the first stroke.  This is followed by the right-hand
> stroke and then the left-hand stroke and finally the daughter, especially
> if the daughter is just the single line. In other cases, however,
> especially those in which  The mother can be seen as a combination of two
> right angles,  The right angle which resembles a V is written  but for the
> right angle which resembles a backward L.  In unusually complex
> characters,  especially those which have all their daughters on the right
> side,  The left component of the mother is written first, even though the
> right-hand component of the mother may be a straight line.  In the case of
> orphans, and when the daughter is significantly large, The daughter or
> leftmost orphan  is written first. So there are definite sequences in which
> the strokes of the mother are written, although it is not always as rigid
> as Chinese.
>
> Stroke count, however,  is a bit trickier.  The majority of  The mothers
> and daughters have between three and five strokes.  Due to the genesis of
> the writing system in our world, there are no one stroke characters or
> mothers. So stroke number is not sufficient and itself to distinguish many
> of the characters for what I'm going to call alphabetization,  although I
> know that is not the correct term.  Currently I am thinking that the
> construction of a native dictionary would require a combination of stroke
> number and stroke order  and also the left or right component of the mother.

I believe the correct term is "collation".

>   Those of you who have designed a writing system similar to what I have
> described,  how did you handle this issue?  Is there something I have
> neglected consider?
> If this makes a difference, this writing system is the formal, careful
> writing system designed for clarity rather than speed.  There is a cursive
> system, but I want to fully understand the more linear system  first, since
> the cursive system is a derivative of the formal linear system.
>
>  One final observation: in some characters the rotation of the geometrical
> shape seems to affect the stroke order,  although rotation is not a fanatic
> or semantic indicator.

I'm having a hard time visualizing this, but it doesn't sound like a
radical/stroke order based system makes sense for this script (it does for
Han characters because stroke order follows fairly rigid rules, though it
gets hairy when you consider cursive or other styles like pseudo-seal
script). I don't really understand the daughter/orphan thing.

Also, it looks like autocorrect may have garbled part of your message ("so
I world war for to them"?) which doesn't help.