CONLANG  May 2005, Week 3

CONLANG May 2005, Week 3

Re: First cut... More than linear...

Ray Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 19 May 2005 19:05:51 +0100

On Thursday, May 19, 2005, at 03:29 , Remi Villatel wrote:

> Just to fuel our 2D discussion:

I guess Remi will expect a response from - so I'll not disappoint him  :)

> http://perso.normandnet.fr/maxilys/first-cut.png
>
> For the fun, I worked on something everybody should recognize which I
> "translated"

So I noticed. My first reaction when I saw it was that it reminded me
straightaway of the 'box analysis' of English that we used to do in school
50 years ago, except it used pretty colors  :)

BTW why the quotes?

> in an evolved version of the first exemple of 2D writing I
> made. (This time, the stupid mailers shouldn't destroy my beautiful work.
> )  ;-)

I know - annoying of some us using mailers for email   ;)

> Some explanations: Green means container (node) and red means content
> (branch/leaf).

Yep - when I looked more closely I saw it was not, of course, box analysis.
  It is a tree.

> (Blue is always abviously contained.) Any way, everything should be quite
> clear.

Colors make it look pretty - but if they are an essential part of the
representation, I have to asked how those afflicted with color-blindness
are suppose to cope. Partial color-blindness affecting green and/or red is,
  I believe, not uncommon among males.

It seems to me, however, that colors are not really needed. You just need
a different shape for the red, green and blue borders/frames/cartouches.

> I won't call it 2D right now

Well it printed out in two dimensions  :)

Why is it not 2D? Whether it is _fully_ 2D is another matter, however.

> but at least I think it's more than linear.

Let me just quote Sai, who:
- on Friday, May 6, 2005, at 02:24 wrote: "Hardly, as they're all
equivalent at an extremely basic level (viz. CS proofs of tree - array
convertability)."
and
- on Monday, May 9, 2005, at 11:36 wrote: "If it's a tree, then it's
trivially serializable."

Yes, a tree is, I guess, 'more than linear' in concept. But it is a
relatively trivial task to linearize it, including equivalents for your
colors. One of the things I was expected to show when I taught CS was how
a binary tree could be implemented in the linear structure called an array.
  (Not my preferred way of implementing a tree).

> It's a "flat" version of my fractal writing. It's not space saving,

No, it is not. If you want to save space you either write Article 1 of the
Univesal Declaration of Human Rights in shorthand (either 'geometric' like
Gregg & Pitman, or alphabetic like Speedwriting & T-line) or translate
into a conlang briefscript like Speedwords, Babm or Lin. I would like to
be able to add Piashi (~bax) to the latter list - but I still haven't got
to grips with the vocab   :=(

> it isn't worth the trouble but I kinda like it.

I agree with you about its not being worth the trouble. This time I will
quote myself, as:
- on Friday, May 13, 2005, at 06:45 I wrote: "I don't see what advantage
2d has for recording (linear) speech - it may be novel, intriguing,
aesthetically pleasing etc - but advantageous?"
and