CONLANG  March 2006, Week 4

CONLANG March 2006, Week 4

Re: names for cases

Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 27 Mar 2006 19:17:37 -0500

BP Jonsson wrote:
> I looked up the Latin translations of the English translations of
> my new Kijeb cases, in the hope of finding names for the cases:
>
> "across"            'transversus, trans'. Transversive?, tho Wikipedia
>                      <http://tinyurl.com/ror2k> suggests _prosecutive_.
>
> "respectively"      'alius...alius'; perhaps not a good candidate for a
> case!
>
> "on top"            obviously 'super'.  _Superessive_
> <http://tinyurl.com/sys29> seems OK.
>
> "under", "in under" both 'sub', but _sublative_ <http://tinyurl.com/rebyf>
>                      seems to mean something else.
>
> "outside"           'extra' -- _extraessive_?
>
> "before"            'ante', so _antetemporal_ seems in order.
>
> "after"             'post', so _posttemporal_?

I won't get into the Name Game, but don't several of these need to
distinguish _location at_ vs. _movement to_ (and before~in
front/after~behind also need to distinguish _time_).  Or can things like
that be handled on the verb?

E.g. "the cat jumped [while] on top of the table" is /= "the cat jumped on
(to) top of the table."