CONLANG  May 2001, Week 2

CONLANG May 2001, Week 2

Lyanjen (for the book)

"Matt M." <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 14 May 2001 01:21:15 -0400

> 1. Name of conlang

Lyanjen . Written in transliterated form, it should be Lánjen with a strike
through the l, or Lyánjen if this is impossible.

> 2. Name of conlanger

Matthew McLauchlin

> 3. Sample sentence with interlinearization/translation (optional)

Micastu k'itadzan lyan nialc k'cundam k'jaubzain péripetorar r'snaldard
r'soskarduj iksár.
"A system of representation of the people is necessary to stem the excesses
of a monarchy responsible to and balanced by nobody."

(SAMPA transcribed)
/mi'Sastu ki'tadzan ljan ni'alS k='Sundam k='Zaubzain 'peripetorar
r='snaldard r='soskarduZ ik'sar/

micastu      k-        itadz        -as      lya        -n
           -0
system       AgVcy represent Gen    people  Pat     be-necessary   3pPrSim

k-          cund    -am        k-          jaubz      -ain
        péripet   -or      -ar
AgVcy   limit     Dat        AgVcy   exceed    PatPl        monarch  group
Ag

r-           snald                 -ard            r-
              -ard       -uj        iksá       -r
PatVcy  be-responsible   PrIndPt       PatVcy be-balanced   PrIndPt  and
nothing   Ag

(Ag = agentive; Vcy = valency; Gen = genitive; Pat = patientive; 3p = third
person; Pr = present; Sim = simple; Dat = dative; Pl  = plural; Ind =
indefinite; Pt = participle)

http://www.crosswinds.net/~shrislyaria

> 5. A short (no more than about 5 sentences) description/explanation of the
> language (e.g. reasons for its creation, associated concultures, etc.)

Lyanjen is the language of the Shrislia, a human people inhabiting a
peninsula on the planet Tenja. It is a strongly inflecting but partially
agglutinative SVO language with an unusual trigeminate case system
(nominative, agentive, and patientive, as well as genitive, locative, and
dative). It is a very conservative language which has evolved little in 1300
years, largely due to the isolation in which its people have lived.

Feel free to contact me for any clarification or further information.

Matt McLauchlin
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
English/français/esperanto/español
http://www.crosswinds.net/~montrealais

"There is a surplus of democracy in the world which is interfering with the
free movement of capital and investment."
- Renato Ruggiero, former director-general of the WTO