CONLANG  September 2003, Week 5

CONLANG September 2003, Week 5

Re: A Survey

JS Bangs <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:47:32 -0700

TEXT/PLAIN

Rob Haden sikyal:

> I'm curious to see everyone's answers to the following questions:
>
> 1. Does your language(s) distinguish between active ("X breaks Y"), middle
> ("X breaks (apart)"), and passive ("X is broken (by Y)")?

Yes, yes, and yes.

> 2. If the answer to #1 was "yes," what method(s) does your language(s) use
> to make some/all of the above distinctions?

A verbal ending which indicates voice, or more properly "inverse". With
the passive, there may also be a change of case, though there never is
with the middle/reflexive.

> 3. What method(s) does your language(s) use to distinguish between basic
> nouns and verbs of the same root (i.e. "a hit" vs. "he hits")?

All verbs a verbal ending, that usually includes -ya. There is rarely any
ambiguity. "A hit" is vuressa, while "he hits" is vuressya.

--
Jesse S. Bangs [log in to unmask]
http://students.washington.edu/jaspax/

Jesus asked them, "Who do you say that I am?"

And they answered, "You are the eschatological manifestation of the ground
of our being, the kerygma in which we find the ultimate meaning of our
interpersonal relationship."

And Jesus said, "What?"