CONLANG  December 2008, Week 2

CONLANG December 2008, Week 2

Re: Typewriter woes

Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Dec 2008 21:10:15 +0100

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 15:13, Benct Philip Jonsson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> However the machine
> had a half-backstep which allowed me to fake not
> only circumflexes but a plethora of ligatures, not
> only _ae, oe_, but also _ao, au, ou, uu, oo, uo_
> and every consonant+ _h_ you could think of.

The one I had had something similar: a half-space. (Pressing the
spacebar advanced the carriage half a letter; letting go of the
spacebar advanced the other half. So if you kept the spacebar pressed,
you could then hit another letter which would get put half a space
after the previous one. Handy sometimes for adding forgotten letters
in the middle of a word!)

Cheers,
Philip
--