CONLANG  November 2006, Week 4

CONLANG November 2006, Week 4

TECH: Re: Printing Help

Benct Philip Jonsson <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 27 Nov 2006 10:34:38 +0100

Roger Mills skrev:

 > And Rosta metioned (1) Word 2003's ability to print as a
 > book; I don't find such a thing in my quirky Word 2000.

It does (my MSW2000 does anyway) look for "Book fold" in the
help system.

(3) He wondered if Open Office had the
 > ability-- as far as I can tell, no; I have the latest
 > version I think.

You can. See <http://seedsforchange.org.uk/free/brochure>.
What is not mentioned there is that you have to specify the
range of pages to print out in each booklet(*), or OOo will
print out the entire document as one booklet; e.g. if you
want 16 pages to each booklet you first have to print out
the page range 1-16, then the range 17-32 and so on -- which
you probably don't need a calculator for if you don't suffer
from dyscalculia like I do. MSW does this calculation
automatically, so it might be something you want to bug the
OOo developers for.  I suppose someone knowing the OOo
flavor of Basic could write a macro for doing it...

To preserve trees (and toner) while experimenting use a PDF
printer driver like PDFCreator
<http://www.pdfforge.org/products/pdfcreator> -- OOo's built-
in save as PDF command won't do here -- and to preserve your
sanity turn on automatic page numbering!

(* 'Booklet' is MSW's descriptive but perhaps erroneous term
for what roughly corresponds to what bookbinders call a
'signature'. A hard-bound book normally consists of many
smaller booklets bound together in sequence. It is both a
necessity of bookbinding technique and what makes it
possible to lay a book open on a table. Conversely the
reason you can *not* lay a perfect-bound book (i.e. most
paperbacks) open on a table is that they aren't divided into
booklets, but are a single glued-together block of pages.
The whole idea of booklet printing is to avoid that!)

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imposition> is very
instructive.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bookbinding> has this to say:

--

/BP 8^)>

    a shprakh iz a dialekt mit an armey un flot

                                 (Max Weinreich)