CONLANG  September 2017, Week 1

CONLANG September 2017, Week 1

Re: question about the transitivity of "put"

Zach Wellstood <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 7 Sep 2017 12:31:44 -0400

Thinking about it more, this might be a case where it is more useful to
think of theta roles / thematic relations than valence. For instance, both
"give" and "put" could be ditransitive verbs, but "give" can license a
theme + a goal or a theme + a recipient, but "put" can only license a theme
+ a goal. Perhaps that's why the asymmetry exists.

portfolio <http://zwelldesigns.com/> · 身先朝露 - 画龙点睛 ·