CONLANG  January 1999, Week 2

CONLANG January 1999, Week 2

Re: CHAT: Re: closet conlanging >> definitions?

Matt Pearson <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 13 Jan 1999 10:21:53 -0800

>I totally respect your right (and even need) to discuss religion and
>politics, and I expect to see some of it on practically any mailing list.
>This is a long thread, and is really becoming tangential to conlang. Please
>consider taking it off-line?

A while back I attached the "CHAT" tag to this thread with the hope that
people who find non-conlang-related tangents annoying would just delete it
without reading and move on.  Perhaps we all need to be more consistent
about using the "CHAT" tag so that it can be a more reliable indicator of
irrelevancies, and people who are feeling overwhelmed by
non-conlang-related postings can delete them with confidence.

Having said that, I would be reluctant to take this thread off-line for
two reasons:  (1) I think it *is* somewhat conlang related, in that we're
discussing the similarities and differences between the gay closet and
the conlang closet, and (2) there are still a lot of people contributing
to it.  Once a thread degenerates into a tedious back-and-forth between
two or three people, then I'm all for moving it off-line.  But as long
as a sufficiently large number of people are interested in pursuing a
topic, I think we should keep it on-line, regardless of whether or not it's
strictly conlang-related.  We should just be more careful about using the
"CHAT" tag...

Matt.

Matt Pearson
UCLA Linguistics Department