CONLANG  August 2009, Week 3

CONLANG August 2009, Week 3

Re: Roman month names (was: Punctuation, capitalization, collation)

"Mark J. Reed" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 06:49:36 -0400

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 3:32 AM, R A Brown<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Just for good measure, Augustus, as Pontifex Maximus, renamed _sextilis_
> after himself (tho his birthday didn't occur there), as a unsubtle hint that
> he expected to be worshiped as a god after his death (and he was).

Hm.  The story I heard was that the month renaming wasn't Augustus'
own idea, but the Senate's, and done because of his calendar reform
(correcting the leap year error in the implementation of Uncle
Julius's calendar).  But I freely admit that I could be wrong, and my
interest in such things is filtered through the lens of calendrical
interest. :)

--
Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>