CONLANG  December 1999, Week 2

CONLANG December 1999, Week 2

Re: English

Nik Taylor <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 8 Dec 1999 19:57:46 -0500

abrigon wrote:

> Actually from my readings that American English has maintained alot more
> older forms than Standard British English. To include a form of
> Elizabethan English (since died out recently in the Appalachias).

Well, the bit about Elizabethan English isn't quite true, but it is true
that American English is generally more conservative than English
English.  I've read that Shakespeare, for instance, requires more
footnotes in English editions than in American editions.

--
"Old linguists never die - they just come to voiceless stops." -
anonymous