CONLANG  May 2004, Week 4

CONLANG May 2004, Week 4

Re: The difficulties of being weirder than English

Joe <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 26 May 2004 21:03:27 +0100

Nik Taylor wrote:

>Amanda Babcock wrote:
>

>>But when I got to that section, the example language was -
>>guess what - English.  Of course.  We have verb structures like "will
>>have done".  I should have known...
>>

>Isn't that pretty common, at least in European languages?

Certainly in those that use auxilliaries to a large extent.  Some
examples, that I'm pulling from nowhere and are probably wrong:

'I will have done' - English
'J'aurai fait' - French
'Habré hecho' - Spanish

I don't know about German:
'Ich werde gemacht haben'(?)

The thing that English can do, that the others can't really, is the
following:

'I will have used to have done' - That's a future past habitual perfect,
by the way.  There are, of course, very few cases in which you'd use
this.  The only thing I can think of is when discussing time-travel.