CONLANG  November 2001, Week 5

CONLANG November 2001, Week 5

Re: Cyrillic Rokbeigalmki Transliterations

Steg Belsky <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 30 Nov 2001 08:43:22 -0500

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:26:21 +0100 BP Jonsson <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> At 13:17 2001-11-29 -0500, Steg Belsky wrote:
> >And no one still has any good replacements for /T/ and /D/?

> IMHO _fita_ wd be the right choice for /T/, since it derives from
> Greek
> _theta_.  I wd use the _big yus_ for /V/ as Bulgarian used to.
> /D/ is not as easy.  You cd use the Macedonian _dze_ for /D/, since
> it is
> derived from Greek lower-case _delta_.
-

The "big yus" sounds good, but for the others i don't really like the
idea of using a letter based on what it's derived from in an other
language.  The same goes for the soft and hard signs below...

> Alternatively you could use _es with descender_ for /T/ and _ze
> with
> descender_ for /D/, seing that you already use _en with hook_ for
> /N/.
-

I like this idea though, it's nice and simple - but do you know if that's
how they're actually used in the languages that use them?  Bashkir has
both of them, but i haven't been able to find a phonetic explanation of
its alphabet on the web.  But uhoh, i just looked at my Cyrillic font i
was using before doesn't have them... hopefully one of the Unicode fonts
i have'll have them.

> Those grave-accented letters bother me.  I would use the soft sign
> for /j/
> diphthongs and the hard sign for /w/ diphthongs, since ultimately
> they are
> transmogrifications of Greek _epsilon+iota_ and _epsilon+upsilon_
> diphthong ligatures.
> /BP 8^)>
> --
> B.Philip Jonsson mailto:[log in to unmask] (delete X)
-

-Stephen (Steg)
"?"