CONLANG  January 2003, Week 2

CONLANG January 2003, Week 2

Re: Another new project and trigger languages

Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 13 Jan 2003 02:36:46 -0500

In the past, Barry Garcia has posted some examples from Tagalog.  I was
going to send in some from another Austronesian language, Tsou of Taiwan--
and will do so tomorrow. It's very similar to Tagalog, but I think my source
gives all the possible variations. I might be able to dig up some more
Tagalog exs. too.

But now I'm wondering:  trigger langs. as we know them seem to be restricted
to the Philippine/Taiwan +AFs-Austronesian family+AF0- area.  An interesting fact in
itself, if true.  So, are there trigger languages elsewhere, in other
families?  If so, how do these others work?

For those of you who might have created trigger languages, how if at all do
they differ from the Philippine model?