CONLANG  August 2008, Week 3

CONLANG August 2008, Week 3

CXS and IPA symbols for uvular approximant

Benct Philip Jonsson <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 17 Aug 2008 14:35:00 +0200

BTW has there been any proposal for a symbol for
an approximant [R] distinct from a fricative [R]?
I suppose differentiating between U+0281 LATIN
LETTER SMALL CAPITAL INVERTED R and U+1D1A LATIN
LETTER SMALL CAPITAL TURNED R won't do (and how to
find a CXS for that?) so I hereby propose U+01A3
LATIN SMALL LETTER OI = LATIN SMALL LETTER GHA
with CXS [q\] for the voiced uvular approximant.

The Sohlob "q" very definitely is [q\].  The Persian
sound transcribed "q" seems to be (fricative) [R] and
even [G\] sometimes.

/BP 8^)>
  "C'est en vain que nos Josués littéraires crient
  à la langue de s'arrêter; les langues ni le soleil
  ne s'arrêtent plus. Le jour où elles se *fixent*,
  c'est qu'elles meurent."           (Victor Hugo)