CONLANG  February 2006, Week 4

CONLANG February 2006, Week 4

Re: Phonetics vs. Phonemics (was: apparently bizarre 'A's)

"Mark J. Reed" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:42:11 -0500

On 2/23/06, Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 2/23/06, Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > The most different-seeming to me are [h] and [f] for Japanese /h/,
>
> /hu/ is [p\M] AFAIK, not [fM].

You mean [PM]!  I see no reason for a valuable monograph like [P] to
be used as an alternative to [v\]  in CXS, when symmetry demands that
it be used for IPA [ϕ] (phi).  The CXS chart should be amended at
once!  At once, do you hear? :)

But you're right -  I pronounce it [P]  but still think of it as "f"
in my head.  I think of the vowel as "u", too.   (Incidentally, is the
/o/ vowel also unrounded [7]?)

> > but those aren't all that far apart really.
>
> But they're right at opposite ends of the pulmonic consonant chart
> from each other!

Heh.  Yes, glottal and labial are about as far apart as you can get
POA-wise, but they're still both voiceless fricatives.  Different
levels of turbulence, but not all that dissimilar.  Certainly not
compared to the difference between the alleged English allophones [h]
and [N].

--
Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>