CONLANG  July 2002, Week 2

CONLANG July 2002, Week 2

Re: Gaelic things

Jan van Steenbergen <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 9 Jul 2002 11:38:14 +0100

 --- Abrigon Gusiq wrote:

> I mean that often by forcing one form of a language, often will force
> related lingos to go there own way.. Basically if Ireland wants to speak
> Erse (Irish Gaelic) they might piss Scot Gaelic speakers to go there own
> way. But if the speakers of Irish, Scot, and Manx Gaelic were to get
> together and have a common Gaelic. Or do they expect it to happen
> naturally?

If is would have been so easy, the Celtic language family might not have been
in such a lamentable state.

Don't forget that Irish Gaelic and Scottish Gaelic are two separate languages,
spoken on two separate islands. Manx Gaelic, on the other hand, is extinct.

How on Earth can you tell people, that they have to change their language to
make it more similar to another language? It just doesn't work that way;
languages grow and evolve. And for what purpose? To have one dying language
instead of two?
Imposing upon the Irish some sort of artificial "Common Gaelic" (an IAL?) would
be exactly what I think Ms. Gunn means by "cannibalising our language".

Jan

=====
"Originality is the art of concealing your source." - Franklin P. Jones