CONLANG  December 1999, Week 2

CONLANG December 1999, Week 2

Re: The Conlang Instinct

Matt Pearson <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 8 Dec 1999 19:16:36 -0600

>I've always thought three one was white, two black, three blue, four
>yellow, five red, six blue or purple, seven yellow, and so on.  Not
>all numbers have colors -- multi-digit numbers don't usually have any
>particular colors associated with them.

When I was a kid, I used to associate sex and age with numbers.
I can still recall the associations pretty clearly:

        1       teen-aged boy
        2       young woman
        3       young girl
        4       young man (around age 21)
        5       slightly older man (around age 35)
        6       young man (late 20s)
        7       old man
        8       middle-aged woman
        9       late middle-aged man
        10      middle-aged man
        11      young man (around age 25)
        12      woman (around 35)
        13      young woman
        14      (same as 4)
        15      (same as 5)
        16      woman (around 35)

and so on...  Is this a form of synesthesia?

Matt.