CONLANG  September 2004, Week 1

CONLANG September 2004, Week 1

Meridonian.Project:HDLM

John Leland <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 4 Sep 2004 03:10:33 EDT

Choosing Meridonian for the romrelay did as I hoped push me to doing more
work on that language.  I have begun compiling my long-planned Historical
Dictionary of Low Meridonian. As I've said before,  I created Low Meridonian in my
years of "casual conlanging" so it never had a vocabulary list or formal
grammar--I wrote quite a lot of texts by simply borrowing whatever romance word was
handy when I needed one, and running it through a set of spelling changes.
(Looking at the surviving materials, I was very inconsistent even about the
spelling changes, though I had created what were supposed to be regular rules.) Thus
to create a dictionary that reflects the actual texts, I have to go back
through all the Low Meridonian texts and compile entries based on the words that
actually existed, as scholars do for natlangs. For each word-entry, I list the
actual form in the text, the derived root for that form, the standard spelling
of its root form,  the form in the more Latinate HIgh Court Meridonian, the
English meaning,and (since I knew I would need it for the relay) its Latin or
other later Romance derivation. It also includes the name of the text where I
found it and the text's date in the conchronology of that world. (Fortunately
most texts were dated.) have now done a couple of hundred words and hope to do
more, though as I begin teaching again soon I may not be able to do much more
quickly. I am also disturbed by the fact that a large batch of texts I
collected for the project has gone missing (including a lai of several hundred lines.)
An example of a full entry reads:
turo  (derived root form)
text: turoz nom.pl.
Standard Low Meridonian: dur
High Court Meridonian: durryz
English: tower
Lat. turris
Fr.tour etc.
 In "Mardonio's Raid"  147th Year of the Collapse.

John Leland

.