CONLANG  December 1998, Week 3

CONLANG December 1998, Week 3

Re: Curvey Scripts

Carlos Thompson <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 18 Dec 1998 13:30:13 -0500

"BP.Jonsson" wrote:

> At 04:16 on 18.12.1998, Kristian Jensen wrote:
>
> > I'm also not particularly fond of a script that connects _all_ the
> > letters. The Javanese script doesn't do this. But it does connect
> > _some_ letters (conjunct consonants) and subsrcipts in a vertical
> > direction while the rest of the letters are written horizontally.
>
> The one feature that I like most in Korean script is the way it joins -- or
> rather groups -- the letters of each syllable within a (theoretical) box,
> making each syllable a discrete visual unit in a very pleasing way.  This
> way of delimiting syllables is IMO infinitely more pleasing and more
> practical than the Tibetan method of *punctuating* each syllable.
>
> P H L I  JO S O  '_\
>  I   P   NS  N   , /    (Of course a monowidth font can't mimic it well...)

I've fund that Hangkerim (my new conlang project) script to look beuty at my
sight, and that typographic and handwriten scripts are mutually recognizable
but different.  After morphems in Hangkerim undergo a series of changes when
pronounced in different phrases the latest scripting reform unified script so
at morphems are recognizable at sight.  Many Hangkerimians use different ways
in their scripting (many of them borrowed by school books conventions) for
marking pronunciation but this is not common in shorthand scripting.

One think I've found in H. script system is that the base for the sylabic
representation seems to be vowels and not consonants.  I guess this script
(propperly extended for any phonology) wouldn't be appropiate for a triliteral
root based language, but reflects a fact of many languages: the duration of
vowels are larger than the duration of consonants in speech.

--
Carlos Eugenio Thompson Pinzsn
  ITEC-Telecom, Colombia

  http://alpha.telecom-co.net/~cthompso/