CONLANG  September 2006, Week 4

CONLANG September 2006, Week 4

Re: Transcription exercise

Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 26 Sep 2006 09:28:06 +0200

On 9/25/06, Carsten Becker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> [...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amsterdam says: "The damming of the river
Amstel gave it its name (in Dutch: Amstelredam "Dam in the Amstel",
turned into Amsterdam in the course of time)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athens says that the city was "[n]amed
after goddess Athena," without going into details. (I note that the
accent is different, though -- the goddess is Athiná in modern Greek,
while the city is Athína. And the older name is plural: Athínai /
Athê~nai -- but also has the accent on the penult, not the ultimate.)

...ah, the article goes on to claim: "In ancient Greek, the name of
Athens was Ἀθῆναι-Athenai, plural of Ἀθηνά-Athene, the Attic name of
the Goddess Athena. The city's name may have been plural, like those
of Θῆβαι-Thebai (Thebes) and Μυκῆναι-Mykenai (Mycenae), because it
consisted of several parts." -- but doesn't explain the shifted
accent.

Cheers,
--
Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>