CONLANG  July 2002, Week 4

CONLANG July 2002, Week 4

Nawan a Praleyo - Praleyo is dead.

Wesley Parish <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 Jul 2002 21:30:35 +1200

I have finally started on some parts of |li' anyerra tarah| - the coast
language, spoken by |li' Rakhebuitya|, the Fish-eaters.

To be brief:

|Li' anyerra tarah| has no passive.  But it has a very productive
stative/agentive divide.

the Agentive is indicated by the zeroth form of the noun and SVO form; it has
a Past/Aorist/Present/Possible conjugation.

The Stative has a simple Aorist/Present conjugation, indicated by the
postposed -an (Aorist/all persons) or -or (Present/all persons) and the
preposed personal |a| for a person, or |i| for an impersonal being, eg, a
spirit of the forests or of the fog, or a god, and |e| for an inanimate
object, eg, fog considered as something you want out of, rather than a being
you are trying to propitiate.   It is also distinguished by a strict
adherence to VS(O) form, eg, |nawan a praleyo| = Praleyo is dead.  Also used
to indicate position, irrespective of the rest of the sentence structure |nan
e ierrat| = on top of a hill, the name of a much-fought-over spring and its
village.

consequently, complex sentence structures can be broken down into two forms:

one where the consequence of the action is yet more action, in which case
there is a set of particles to carry over from SVO to SVO;

the other where the action concludes in a placing or positioning of some sort
(emotions are considered stative), or a placing/positioning results in an
action, where a simple conjugation indicates that the topic of the SVO and
the VS are the same - |En tref ma li' ierrat di nan a en ierrat| = I went to
the hill and on the hill I sat.  |Aiator a li' tua en di li' tref ma u
vaiti'anor u fait un en.|  = The midwife's daughter loves me and so went to a
village of my kin.  ( |u| and |un| are partitive prepositions/indefinite
articles.)

If one were to say "because she was looking for me" one would need to add
|iam u te li' vaniro ma un en|, the particle cluster |iam| = for |u| = such
|te| = that, meaning "because".

|li' | is both "the" when it preposes a noun, and "he", and "she" on its own.

Wesley Parish
--
Mau e ki, "He aha te mea nui?"
You ask, "What is the most important thing?"