CONLANG  April 2005, Week 1

CONLANG April 2005, Week 1

Re: Advanced English to become official!

Joe <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 2 Apr 2005 22:50:54 +0100

Pascal A. Kramm wrote:

>On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 09:56:57 +0100, Joe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>

>>Problem is, Pascal's German, so it's bound to be imperfect.
>>

>Oh my, what an ugly arrogant attitude >:(
>I can really hear the contempt in your voice... Why don't you say right
>away: "Germans are lower than dirt."
>Let me guess, American? Even if you think that that makes you better than
>anyone else, I have news for you: IT DOESN'T.
>That attitude is sadly quite common among Americans... but I also know
>enough Americans which are very nice, so you can't make any generalizations
>there.

No, English actually.  And I was just pointing out that you are not a
native speaker of the language, and, as such, are probably not entirely
familiar with the ins and outs of it.  Especially when it comes to the
phonology, which is rarely taught formally, unlike the grammar.

As such, any spelling reform is bound to be based on a few inaccurate
assumptions.

As for thinking I'm superior - I tend to believe that if anything, the
English are slightly behind Germany as far as being sensible goes
(governmentally speaking), and equal on all other respects.  Just like
everyone else in the world.  I'd never think twice about thinking
differently of someone based on their nationality.  And, frankly, I find
your irrational generalisation of Americans (and assumption that I am
one) rather condescending.

>>I think there should be a few modifications.
>>

>Well, then go and create your own spelling reform, rather than talking
>someone else's work bad just because he's a "German".

Did I say it was bad?  I find making things fun, and wouldn't think call
it 'bad', simply based on inaccurate knowledge.  And that is never the
creator's fault.