CONLANG  May 2001, Week 2

CONLANG May 2001, Week 2

Re: Conlang fluency

Tue, 8 May 2001 09:25:55 -0400

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 06:14:22PM -0400, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Does anyone speak/write (or know someone who speaks/writes) a conlang with
> some degree of fluency? Is anyone at least able to form basic sentences in
> conlangs without consulting a grammar or lexicon?

I can use my old high-school conlang without consulting anything, but it
lacks useful vocabulary and complex clauses, and I don't know most of the
vocabulary that it does have offhand.

Let me see how well I can construct a totally new sentence without looking
anything up.

  ened buraritap'n, fole ciliditap'n, tinab'n titap'te, an tylchan lop'te.
  The sun sets, the moon rises, the stars shine, the gods watch.

Apostrophes are orthographic, not phonetic.  I left out all the fancy
diacritics (I don't think I actually have any minimal pairs using the fancy
diacritics).

Words I knew offhand: ened, fole, tylch.  Words I was able to remember
due to reciting bits of poetry: burarit, cilidit, lo.  Words I am not sure
I got right: tinab, tita.  And upon looking it up, tinab'n was wrong; it
should have been tetin.  Correcting that, and using newer forms for "cilidit"
and "burarit":

  ened burap'n, fole cilitap'n, tetin titap'te, an tylchan lop'te.

Amanda