CONLANG  September 2017, Week 1

CONLANG September 2017, Week 1

Re: Word order

Hugelmann Alexis <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 1 Sep 2017 15:54:07 +0200

Word order in Ɣu is a rigid VSO (for finite forms anyways, let's not enter
the details of infinitive clauses here), unless the copular verb, that also
serves for existential constructions, is associated to a noun phrase with
adjectives (in the singular) and without a definite realis article (1):

   1. *Tan ei jus ñi*
      1. 3s-be.PRS the cat small
      2. "The cat is small"
   2. *Tan jus ñi*
      1. 3s-be.PRS cat small
      2. "A cat is small" OR "there is a small cat"
   3. *Tan ki jus ñi*
   1. 3s-be.PRS some.IRR cat small
      2. "(let's put that) a cat is small" OR "(let's say that) there is a
      small cat"

So to clarify the predicative reading, the verb comes between the noun and
the adjective:

   - *Jus tan ñi*
   - *Ki jus tan ñi*

With the plural or collective, the inversion is unnecessary, because
attributive adjectives agree in number with the noun and not predicative
ones:

   1. *Túvan júsu ñívu*
      1. 3p-be.PRS cat-PL small-PL
      2. "There are small cats"
   2. *Túvan júsu ñi*
      1. 3p-be.PRS cat-PL small
      2. "The cats are small"

I have for the time being no strategy for emphasis, save perhaps for some
adverbs. There is case marking but it has no effects on word order.

Do note though that in relative clauses, the relative pronoun (identical in
form to the definite article) is in the same place we'd have expected the
constituent of  a main clause after its syntactic role:

   - *Amóɣe véte nimacnéko éiva*
      - 1s-see-PRS man-PAT 1px-APPL-speak-REC REL-BEN
      - "I'm seeing a man we talked with (recently)"