PED-EM-L August 1999

UTI evaluation in children

Randolph J Cordle <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 13 Aug 1999 22:27:27 EDT

I am interested in the group's response to the following statements regarding
the work-up of a possible urine infection in children.  For the purpose of
this discussion assume UA is just old fashioned microscopy without Gram's
stain or hemocytometer evaluation.

1.  All urine specimens for culture in children under 2 years of age should
be collected by catheter or suprapubic tap.

- If you would change the age let me know this as well.

2.  In children being worked up for a possible occult urinary tract
infection, bag specimens are only possibly helpful if the UA is negative and
culture grows less than 100,000 colonies of a single organism.  Bag specimens
with a positive UA should be discarded and a catheterization or suprapubic
tap performed for collection of urin