Re: Philadelphia Criteria

"Chamberlain, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>

Chamberlain, Jim

Mon, 17 Dec 2007 10:01:32 -0500

For those of you confused by Dr. Nemeth's answer (I wasn't sure which
question he was answering "Absolutely" to), Garra et al re-tested both
the Philadelphia and the Rochester criteria and found both had similar
high negative predictive values as the original studies in this new,
prospectively assembled data set.

James Chamberlain, MD
Division Chief, Emergency Medicine
Children's National Medical Center
Washington, DC 20010
202.884.3253 (O)
202.884.3573 (F)
-----Original Message-----
From: Pediatric Emergency Medicine Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joe Nemeth
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2007 7:44 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Philadelphia Criteria

Absolutely...
see:

Reappraisal of criteria used to predict serious bacterial illness in
febrile infants less than 8 weeks of age. Garra G., et al. Acad Emerg
Med 2005;12: 921

jn

Quoting Evan Mahl <[log in to unmask]>:

> I was recently discussing the management of febrile neonates with
> some colleagues and when the Philadelphia criteria came up, one said
> "oh, nobody uses those anymore, they've been disproven."
>
> Is she right?
>
>  Can we still risk stratify febrile newborns from 4 to 8 weeks of age?
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Evan Mahl, MD
>  St. Lukes Hospital
>  New York
>

> ---------------------------------
Search.

> For more information, send mail to [log in to unmask] with
> the message: info PED-EM-L
> The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
>  http://www.brown.edu/Administration/Emergency_Medicine/ped-em-l.html

message: info PED-EM-L
The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: