PED-EM-L Archives

PED-EM-L@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

PED-EM-L Home

PED-EM-L  June 1998

PED-EM-L June 1998

Re: Penetrating neck trauma

"Virgil Davis M.D." <[log in to unmask]>

Virgil Davis M.D.

Mon, 22 Jun 1998 22:15:17 -0700

I actually had a similar case last year, my patient had a moderate sized
hematoma with no pulsatile mass, no bruit, papable carotid pulse.  After
around 30 minutes it seemed to be expanding slightly.  After a discussion
with the trauma surgeon I RSI'd him, his cords were actually deviated off
to the contralateral side, I think if we had waited longer it might have
been difficult.  Turned out he had a A-V fistula on angio with carotid and
int jugular.  What we would have done without some real or imagined
progression to push for RSI likely would have been to just watch.  Kid did
great in the OR and had uncomplicated post-op course.