We do it for grown ups. It works very well. We call it the RAT (Rapid
Asessment Team) Main advantages are:
1) Gets rid of waiting - we are aspiring to a 'no one waits in our
department' vision. So the first Health Care Proivder initiates relevant
treatment or investigations.
2) More senior doctor reduces inappropriae investigations
3) Juniors learn from senior's experience
4) Senior's dont learn from juniors' mistakes !
5) Shortens cycle time for patients in the emergency department.
6) We are ultimately moving towards multiple access points with
multi-disciplinary initial assessment. That means it may be teh nurse or the
doctor who registers the patient. We believe it is important to remove
territorialism from the emergency department. If you have teh IT skills to
register a patient then do it patient side while taking a history.
And all this in Dublin too Ciara !
(Consultant in Emergency Medicine St Vincent's University Hospital)
Dr John Ryan
----- Original Message -----
From: ciara martin <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2002 09:48
Subject: DOCTORS WHO TRIAGE
> I have joined a department who wish to try out docs in the triage .I know
that some of you have tried this and found it useful /useless . I would
appreciate your comments.
> Dr Ciara Martin
> Temporary A/E Consultant
> Our Ladys Hospital for sick Children
> Dublin 12
> For more information, send mail to [log in to unmask] with the
message: info PED-EM-L
> The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
For more information, send mail to [log in to unmask] with the message: info PED-EM-L
The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: