Help for TEI-L Archives

TEI-L Archives

TEI-L@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

TEI-L Home

TEI-L  November 2017

TEI-L November 2017

Re: looking for advice on creating external information resources for an edition

Ron Van den Branden <[log in to unmask]>

Ron Van den Branden <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 22 Nov 2017 11:41:38 +0100

Hi all,

First off, sincere apologies for my late response, which does not imply
any lack of appreciation at all for your kind replies. It's nice to see
such a wide variety of "input workflows" for TEI projects in only a
couple of reactions!

Concerning the "non-Word perspectives": thanks, Laura, for putting
CRWC-Writer on my radar! The demo at http://208.75.74.217 is looking
impressive (with very elegant in-browser solutions for XML editing
operations and a potential for intuitive and rich in-browser TEI
markup), and the documentation of the Github repository/ies suggests it
should be possible to self-host the system. I'll keep an eye on the
project, and hope to find the time to experiment. Ditto for Ben's wealth
of links and projects, which I'm still digesting, many thanks!
Hypothes.is looks like a wonderful tool; it's great to see a clever
example of how to use it in a project. From your description of Mashbill
and FromThePage, these seem spot-on and make me want to try them all at
once. It's amazing and refreshing to see such great annotation-oriented
projects integrating annotations and identification/description of named
entities. In the current project, we're still in a pilot phase for a
limited corpus, so if we can find better ways for the input workflow,
this is definitely worth investigating. For one thing, even though the
project budget is limited, we do have access to a dedicated server, so
there is some hope here...

Last but not least, thanks, Omar, for sharing your code and thoughts on
the Word approach in your project. Your "discovery" method seems clever,
though probably only usable in an even more tightly controlled input
scenario than ours. I realize your words of caution hold for any
approach trying to get structured output from a completely loose input
environment like a text processor.

All this said, I guess what I'm looking for in the short run is a
easy/intuitive way to create an external data source for identifying and
describing persons, places, etc. (which in a TEI workflow would
typically take the shape of person, place, ... listings in separate TEI
files), whose records can be linked to from Word transcriptions. A
collaborative spreadheet would probably be sufficient for representing
the data, but falls short w.r.t. ease of input and ways to query and
view individual records. Still investigating!

Kind regards,

Ron