CONLANG  January 2000, Week 2

CONLANG January 2000, Week 2

Owed Explanation II (Was Re: Ebonic Xmas)

Fri, 14 Jan 2000 05:11:31 GMT

Are there blacks who are poor and live in areas where it is
difficult to rise in society?  However, poor people are
discriminated against in general.  How is this worse than any
poor man being unable to purchase clothes to make him look good/
professional enough to be hired for a decent job that may pull
him out of slums?  In my mind there is no difference between asians,
blacks, or whites.  (I am using alphabetical order, if you will
note.)  The seperation is as much, if today not more, done by blacks
as by whites.  After all, they have the African heritage (never mind
the fact that Africa is a continent with countless tribes with
differing believes and little to no unity--some even at war with
each other), the black experience (seemingly a code-word for
hard-time... who doesn't have it?), that glamorous brother and
sisterhood which is based on skin-color... discrimination is more
or less a synonym for differentiation--when we stop saying we are
different despite being citizens of the same country; we shall no
longer discriminate against each other.

Blacks in other countries are citizens embracing their nationality,
in North America however they declare their uniqueness and expect
everybody to treat them as if they were not unique.  Either be like
everyone else, or if you think you are different and are even
willing to joke around about it; do not mind if others do it as well.

Yes, the poem was inappropriate by North American standards.  But
by no means racist, and I cannot see how being so similiar to
countless black-written rap lyrics out there, blacks (or whites)
can take so much offense to it.

Also, I still do not see how a black man standing on a stage,
jokingly bashing caucasians is a good, honest, hard-working American
citizen; but a white man standing on stage bashing blacks is a
racist, fascist, Nazi pig.

Yes, the latter is usually an accurate description.  My point is
simply that a well-to-do, popular comedian's stereotypical jokes
about whites is just as racist (regardless of whether we condone
it or not.)

And finally, having been called and implied a racist by almost
everyone:  Chances are strong that I am less prejudiced against
all the various people on this earth than the average American
can ever hope to be.  Why?

I am not prejudiced religiously.  Noone else is either?  I think
we would be surprised to learn how many people in North America
consider witchcraft and paganism to be devilish crafts that people
burn in hell for.

I am not prejudiced racially.  I make no difference between an
asian man, a black man, or a white man.  I label people by
nationality--a rather fair practise, don't you think?  I know
Canadians, Americans, and Hungarians who are blacks and I consider
them Canadians, Americans, and Hungarians.  In fact, if anyone
had payed close attention: The entire time I was objecting to
being forced to give special consideration to a black American
because of his colour while be racist to give special consideration
to a white American for the same reasons.

I am not nationally prejudiced.  Unlike a lot of people out there,
and I speak from personal experience: I do not consciously or
otherwise think of Serbs, Russians, Chinese, Ethiopeans, British,
or Australians any differently.  I recognize that people are people,
some good, some bad.

I am not politically prejudiced.  Unlike seemingly a lot of
Americans, I do not think that American dislike of communism gives
them a legal right to illegaly adopt a cuban boy whose mother
illegaly took him from the child's legal guardian, the father.
Furthermore, from a country that has a higher literacy rate than
America--this latter fact I have not checked, but as both Yugoslavia
and Hungary had, and still has, higher literacy rates thanks to
communisms brief stand there; chances are extremely high that the
comment is correct.

Therefore Abrigon owes no apology.  Black people's tolerance
of racial stereotyping by their fellow blacks made it okay
in today's society to make non-racist jokes about certain races.
Non-racist because the joke is not about Nazi exterminations or
slavery, but a stereotype promoted by visible Black Americans.
And white-stereotype jokes (redneck jokes) are oddly enough okay
when told by anyone.  Well, until Blacks start protesting their
own people's currently accepted racism; they can protest, but
cannot condone such race-related, but non-racist slurs made by
people who make the assumption that if something is said in good
humor, they will not be racially discriminated against when
reproducing that particular brand of humor.

Alas, racism as most of us seem to think of it is a very jaded and
racially affected term indeed.

What should stop, in my opinion?

The kind of humor the poem represents certainly qualifies.  But
before that happens a couple of other things will have to stop:

1. Racial/racist/stereotypical comments about blacks BY blacks.
2. Same as above about whites BY blacks.

A person who dislikes racial slurs against their own race by others
but accepts such made by members of his own race and similiar slurs
made about other races is NOT anti-racism--in fact, he is not anti-
anything at all.  Nobody likes to be made fun of.  Blacks having
gotten through that they do not like being made fun of should now
stop making fun of themselves in ways they would not be able to
smile regardless of the color of the joker's skin, and should also
stop making fun of caucasians.  Otherwise, there is little chance
that the occasional racial slur whose existence is produced by this
special and condoned brand of bigotry will cease... in this case
bigotry refers to the idea that Blacks can say things about blacks
AND whites that whites can never say about blacks.

Comments?