Monospaced Font

CONLANG  January 2000, Week 4

CONLANG January 2000, Week 4

Re: A perfect day for introducing myself

Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:22:03 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Vasiliy Chernov wrote:

>My first name is Vasiliy (I believe it should be pronounced vuh-SEE-lee
>in English). My surname is Chernov (approximately, cheer-NAWF; rolled
>'r', please ;) ). Like all Russians, I also have a patronymic (not
>exactly a middle name, by no means a part of the surname): Yevgenyevich
>(hard 'g', stress on -gen-). I don't expect to hear it often, though.

In typically English fashion, I've been reading it as /'vaes.I.li
'Cr.nav/

>All this began when, still a schoolboy, I realized that English has a
>fixed word order and fails to distinguish verbal aspects. I found this
>so inconvenient that I immediately reformed it (by introducing
>declinable articles and profoundly reforming the tense system).

Now that would be interesting to see! Were the cases built upon German
Russian or English caseforms?

Padraic.