CONLANG  January 2000, Week 4

CONLANG January 2000, Week 4

Re: A perfect day for introducing myself

andrew <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 28 Jan 2000 08:57:17 +1300

Am 01/27 06:11  Vasiliy Chernov yscrifef:
> Some people, innately polite and well-bred, introduce themselves
> immediately as they enter a new company.

They do?  The poor things!  On mailing lists I just lurk until until I
have something to say.  I must have poor social skills.

> My first name is Vasiliy (I believe it should be pronounced vuh-SEE-lee
> in English). My surname is Chernov (approximately, cheer-NAWF; rolled
> 'r', please ;) ). Like all Russians, I also have a patronymic (not
> exactly a middle name, by no means a part of the surname): Yevgenyevich
> (hard 'g', stress on -gen-). I don't expect to hear it often, though.

Don't we get to call you Vasiliy Yevgenyevich if we want to be on first
name terms, a slightly different naming system to English where
patronymics are not commonly used.  I once worked out that my 'Russian'
name would be Andrei Ivanovich Kuznetzov (spelling subject to
correction).

> I live in Moscow (Russia, not someplace), and it's really pretty cold
> here these days :). (But I suspect Artyom will say that minus 20
> centigrades is pretty *warm* for February ;) )

In my part of the Antipodes February is the warmest month and gets up to
and above 30 celsius.  I slow down at that point.  As schools started
back yesterday the weather should improve anytime now.

> All this began when, still a schoolboy, I realized that English has a
> fixed word order and fails to distinguish verbal aspects. I found this
> so inconvenient that I immediately reformed it (by introducing
> declinable articles and profoundly reforming the tense system).

What are the details of this system?

- andrew.
--
Andrew Smith, Intheologus                       [log in to unmask]

                      "Piskie, Piskie, say Amen
                   Doon on your knees and up agen."

                    "Presbie, Presbie, dinna bend;
                   Sit ye doon on mon's chief end."