CONLANG  January 2000, Week 4

CONLANG January 2000, Week 4

Re: Classic, Normal, and Vulgar Lingo

"Thomas R. Wier" <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 22 Jan 2000 16:38:08 -0600

Nik Taylor wrote:

> Padraic Brown wrote:
> > Reminds me of the opening scenes of the "Aquiliad", where the Greek
> > slave is reading to his young Roman master, while they're travelling
> > in his fathers steam powered automobile to see a crucifiction.
>
> Steam-powered automobile?  Is this some sort of alternate-history where
> Rome never fell or a humdinger of an anachronism?  :-)

Actually, the Romans did have access to steam-driven engines of
sorts.  I think it was Hieron of Alexandria (during Hellenistic times)
that made quite a few devices using steam.  Most of them failed
industrially because slaves were just too cheap.

Tom Wier <[log in to unmask]>
ICQ#: 4315704   AIM: Deuterotom
Website: <http://www.angelfire.com/tx/eclectorium/>
"Cogito ergo sum, sed credo ergo ero."