CONLANG  January 2000, Week 4

CONLANG January 2000, Week 4

Re: TRANS: I learned Swedish in Uppsala. (was Re: Gray/Grey, conscripts, 'conlang', etc.)

Irina Rempt <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 28 Jan 2000 19:14:32 +0100

TEXT/PLAIN

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Padraic Brown wrote:

> Though there is no Sweden (let alone an Uppsala) in the world, a
> Tallarian speaker would say:

[zap]

(well, no, that's not what they would say, but this was the relevant
bit)

There's no Sweden or Uppsala in the same world as Valdyas either, but
let's call Sweden "Sueda" and Uppsala "Upsala", both with stress on
the second syllable, understanding that they're in a foreign language
but can be treated as Valdyan words because they have a compatible
ending.

ilanea       Suedei     ornenan          Upsalie
language-acc Sweden-gen learn-PRF-PRS-1s Uppsala-loc

or slightly marked, "it is in Uppsala that I learned Swedish":

Upsalie     ilanea       Suedei     ornenan
Uppsala-loc language-acc Sweden-gen learn-PRF-PRS-1s

The present perfect indicates that I now know Swedish; the simple
past (ornun) would convey that I did learn it but don't remember a
thing!

   Irina

[log in to unmask] (myself) - http://valdyas.conlang.org (Valdyas)
        http://www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt/irina/index.html (home)