Help for SCUBA-L Archives

SCUBA-L Archives

SCUBA-L@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

SCUBA-L Home

SCUBA-L  January 2000, Week 5

SCUBA-L January 2000, Week 5

Re: Cottesloe Beach, Perth OZ - dive report

Krazy Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 1 Feb 2000 11:26:52 +0800

Well a followup to my original posting about the Cottlesloe Reef UW
Photographic Competition.
The competition, though open to the public, closed last Tuesday evening
with only one outsider (non-Perth UW photo club member) submitting slides
for judging. A poor effort when you think how much advertising & work had
gone in to get the public involved .. but its expected .. some people only
worry about something after its gone eh :-(

Entrants had to submit a maximum of 5 slides each. With no set subject it
was interesting to see what everyone thought was their best pics. The
judges had a very hard time selecting the winning shots because everything
was so good. It sure surprised most of us how good :-) as we had not had
that a successful time with the weather conditions for the organised dive
trips :-( What was to be 5 prizes turned in to 8 prizes as the judges
decided to select pics that showed what exactly was down there for
snorkellers & divers to see. The variety was excellent, for such a small area.

I was 100% sure that everyone was going to put a nudibranch shot in .. as
that was the *most* photographed critter on all the dives I took part in so
I decided NOT to put a nudibranch shot in .. bad move Viv! What made it
worse was Jen (our Treasurer) trots up and asked me to select her best
nudibranch shot as she couldnt make up her mind .. and I picked the bloody
winner in the nudibranch section!! Typical!! I couldnt pick my own winners
in a fit ;-))  Bah Humbug!  Sorry also that the one nudibranch shot I
expected to be perfect turned out a dud .. the one Ray Jones wanted to see.
I over-exposed it to hell with the Nikon RS .. meaning the beautiful yellow
eggs appear ghastly white .. the deep velvety plum coloured nudibranch
looks dark brown/black & its got so much sand swirling around in the pics
its backscattered to death :-(

winnings shots ... I doan know yet .. but I will bring this up for
discussion at our next committee meeting next week. The judges took all our
slides away for duping as they will use them for advertising material -
phamplets, t-shirts, calendars, etc. There is even talk of making large
copies that can be posted along the carpark fences to the beach to let
people know whats down there with some facts about each critter.

normally dont dive when there is lightening on the horizon but on the day
that we did the storm had actually passed over the metropolitan area and
was heading south so very unlikely we would encounter a problem there. We
also opted to shore dive instead of taking our boats just incase. If though
we had been gearing up & felt our hair stand on end we would definitely
have aborted the dive. I have only left the beach or balled myself up when
Ive felt my hair stand on edge when lightening was close by. In regards to
being at sea during a lightening storm I have only heard of boats being hit
by lightening .. not divers. In fact we had a lightening fatality this week
.. a guy zapped while fishing up in the Northern Territory. His mates tried
to revive him with no success. Sad but this is a one in a million case.

    Viv &     Only when the last tree has died     o  ___
    Fluffy    and the last river been poisoned     o /@  \/
   (=*_*=)     and the last fish been caught        >  )::
             will we realise we cannot eat money.    \___/\
Chief Seattle, Chief of the Swamish Native Americans