CONLANG  February 2000, Week 5

CONLANG February 2000, Week 5

Re: Bob's Introduction

Robert Hailman <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 29 Feb 2000 18:08:23 -0500

Hi guys, thanks for the warm welcome.

Okay, I've decided to respond to all of you in one big message.

Roger Mills wrote:

>     Hello Bob:  sounds like a good project.
>
> << 1) When I post a sketch of a language, and I give the phonololgy, do I
>  give just the IPA symbols, or do I use the alphabet I am using if it is
>  a Roman alphabet as well as the IPA if they don't agree?>>
>     My feeling would be, use the Roman alphabet as far as possible, with an
> IPA explanation for anything that departs from it.

That seems like a good idea. It doesn't depart from the IPA terribly
much, but the x I gave is the main example.

> << In my language the disagree somewhat, as I use
>  x to represent a voiced velar fricative (I forget the symbol), >>
>     Mighn't that be confusing, since x is the IPA symbol for the voiceless
> velar fric.? (The voiced counterpart is lower-case gamma.)  Will there be
> both voiceless and voiced velar fricatives? Then if you're willing to use
> digraphs, _kh_ and _gh_; or _x_ for voiceless, with something from Special
> Characters window for the voiced? (Won't work in e-mail, which is why most
> people here seem to use G).

I don't  have a voiceless velar fric., but I may add one because I want
to keep words short and I don't think my current phonology has enough
possible 2 syllable words for my purposes, I'll explain in more detail
when I pst the fill sketch.
<snip>

Roger, thanks for your advice, it lines up with what was thinking, so i
must be doing good things!

Kristian Jensen wrote:

<snip>
> Welcome to the list Bob. Cool project. Have you considered having a
> conculture with that language of yours? There's a sister-list to this
> one where many conlangers reside as well and discuss concultural
> issues. You can join it through onelist.com.

I'll try the list out. Maybe I'll do one later. The language would
define the culture, which would be interesting because it is the
opposite of what happens in the "real" world.

> BTW, it seems like whenever a young conlanger joins the list, then
> the individual is always 15. That must be the magic age for
> conlangers ;-)

I say it's bordom with the traditional hobbies, like rap music and
drugs. :-) That's what got me into it, although I never really
understood rap music. But that's for another list.

<snip - you all have my questions>

> Well, for the grammar sketch alone you could suffice with just the
> orthography you have chosen. But when you give the phonology, I think
> in your case it'd be quite interesting if you give the orthography
> together with the IPA. Basically, you ought to reserve using the IPA for
> when you describe the phonology (unless, of course, your orthography
> is based on the IPA like my conlang), and then just use your chosen
> orthography for the rest of the sketch. That's what I think most
> people on this list do anyways.

Well, the phonology is one of the few things I've worked out so far, so
I guess I'll post it when I post the preliminary sketch. That's awhile
off, though.

>> 2) The Conlang FAQ, or at least the URL I have of it, hasn't been
>> updated since 1998. Has it been abandoned, is a new version still in
>> development, or do I have the wrong adress for it? I have
>> http://personalweb.sierra.net/~spynx/FAQ/index.html.
>
> That's the FAQ alright. But like you discovered, it hasn't been
> updated for quite a while now. There was mention of someone wanting
> to start a new one though. Mind you, the old one is still quite
> useful.

Yeah, it's been realy useful to me so far, but some of the things in the
TOC that haven't been put up sound pretty interesting.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Christophe Grandsire wrote:
> At 22:00 28/02/00 -0500, you wrote:
>> Hey hey!
>>

> Hi, and welcome to the list :) .
>

>> I have a project coming up at school where I'm allowed to do more or
>> less anything I want, and I'm considering developing a Conlang. I'm
>> allowed to start the project before it is assigned, because I know the
>> details about it already, because it is an assignment for enriched level
>> students at my school for grades 9 to 11, so I did one last year and
>> know the process.
>>

> A conlang as a school project? If only the schools I attended had allowed
> such thing... :((

I'm in the enriched program, anything goes there. As long as I actually
do it myself.

>> I've started a very rough sketch of a language, but it's nowhere near
>> complete enough to post here, I have to decide on quite a bit of the
>> grammar and have at least some vocabulary to provide examples with. I'll
>> post more on this as it develops.
>>

> Just do it!
>
>> Anyways, some questions.

<snip>

> Just present the Roman alphabet with an IPA explanation, it will be enough
> :) . When you have languages like me where the Roman transcription is far
> enough from the actual pronunciation (like Chasmäöcho which is a real
> orthographic hoax. Its name is pronounced /tSas'mawtS@/, but it's still
> near to the orthography compared to other words :) ), just add an IPA
> transcription of your examples between slashes. For languages with
> correspondence one letter-one phoneme, it's useless though.

At this point it is one letter/one phoneme, but that could change as I
work on it.

> A voiced velar fricative? If only I had known IPA when I was your age, my
> projects wouldn't have been so forget-worthy (I think it's a neologism of
> mine, but you understand what I mean don't you? :))) ) ...

Yeah, I understand what your saying. I use all sorts of strange
expressions and pronounciations, I think you could classify how I talk
as a new dialect of English, although more for pronounciation that the
words used. Using the power of the Internet, I found the IPA chart and a
program that has sound files for all but 3 IPA symbols. That's always
fun.

>> 2) The Conlang FAQ, or at least the URL I have of it, hasn't been
>> updated since 1998. Has it been abandoned, is a new version still in
>> development, or do I have the wrong adress for it? I have
>> http://personalweb.sierra.net/~spynx/FAQ/index.html.
>>

> There is a developing FAQ on http://www.conlang.org, but I don't know how
> far it is now.

That adress doesn't seem to work...

>> Well, thank you, and have a nice day.
>>

> You're welcome.

Thank you again. :o)

Jeffrey Henning wrote:
> Robert comunu:

Is "comunu" from a language of your own devising, or one that I've just
never heard before? It seems vaguely related to the word "communicate".

>> I've only seen one language sketch since I came online
>
> The best way to learn is to look at a bunch of sketches.  I have sketches of
> my own and others' languages at http://www.langmaker.com/ and I have a index
> to other languages at http://www.langmaker.com/mlindex.htm
> (though I'm months behind in entering new submissions).

I checked out that site, and I downloaded LangMaker, it seems useful,
but I haven't figured it out fully et.

> Best regards,
>
> Jeffrey Henning

Back at ya, Jeff!
> http://www.LangMaker.com/ - Invent Your Own Language
> http://www.Jeffrey.Henning.com/
> "If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time Windows crashed....  Oh, wait, he
> does!"
He certainly does.

yl-ruil wrote:
> Robert Hailman euecuet:
>
>> I have a project coming up at school where I'm allowed to do more or
>> less anything I want, and I'm considering developing a Conlang.
>
> Speak to your teacher first. I'm studying to be a teacher and we don't like
> surprises.

I'd have to anyways, as I already signed up for a much less interesting
project, or at least it seems less interesting that I've gotten into
conlangs.

>> I've started a very rough sketch of a language, but it's nowhere near
>> complete enough to post here, I have to decide on quite a bit of the
>> grammar and have at least some vocabulary to provide examples with. I'll
>> post more on this as it develops.
>
> Please do, embryonic conlangs fascinate me. It's the making things up
> that's most fun.

I intend to. I hope your not suggesting that it stops being fun as you
get farther though it, because that would be terrible.

<snip>

> Personally, I generally do both, since none of my conlangs agree entirely
> with the IPA: Carastan is a bugger for this, since I use <c> to represent
> both /k/ and /c/, under different circumstances, and <h> has no less than
> five phonetic realisations. If there is one letter representing more than
> sound, make sure you outline clearly why this is and under what
> circumstances the different realisations occur.

Right now it's one to one as far as phonemes and letters go, but that
might change. Maybe some digraphs.

>> Well, thank you, and have a nice day.
>
> Never say this again, otherwise I may be forced to kill you ;). This is
> nothing personal, just a cultural pet-hate. I'm sure any other English
> people on the list will agree when I say we find it VERY irritating. But
> apart from that, good luck kidder.

Really? I've never encountered people who don't like that expression.
I'll be sure to avoid it in the future.

Good luck to you to.

*whew*, I'm more or less done. Thank you all for your responses, and I
look forward to seeing what you have to say in the future!