Re: Proposal for periodic posting.

Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 2 Mar 2000 00:23:41 -0500

Robert F. Ling wrote:

> >I saved your message for future study. In my initial reading, I'm not
sure
> >I noticed an example of command structure, but will look again and think
> >further. Thanks.

> Are you sure? I bet on the scrap heap. ;-)

> >BTW, the original message I got when I first signed is now consigned to a
> >scrap heap along with the computer I was using at the time.

> What about this?
>
> *>By sending "index scuba-l" and then "get" commands to
> *>[log in to unmask], you can get recent archives.

This may be instructions for those who do this with some regularity, but not
for the rest of us. Send how? In the body of the post? In the subject?
Individually or all at once?

> This is in Nick and Don's Periodic Posting of Scuba-L Guidelines
> and Info, for those who have trashed this and other LISTSERV
> Intro messages to readers (including how to SIGN OFF).
> Have they been systematically consigned to your trash heap too?

Nope, I saved the most recent one to review as well. Since I just got the
desire to actually learn more, I think I can be forgiven for not having
studied the subject previously.

> Lee, if you spend 1/1000 of the time you spend posting here and
> in rec.scuba.* on READING a few basic essential FACTS relating to
> your posting environment, to help solidify the factual basis of
> your recall of what others posted, it would greatly enhance the
> value and quality of your discussions. I mean this as a
> constructive comment in response to your rather callous remark
> about trashing the LISTSERV Intro you were supposed to keep,
> and then CONTINUE to ignore what's posted every other week by
> Nick -- to REMIND you (and others) what they have trashed.

If you had read a bit closer and considered what I might have been saying,
you might have posted a bit less callously yourself. The computer is what
was trashed, hard drive and all. I first signed on two computers ago. I
did not trash the message, I carefully save it. The medium failed, not the
operator.

As for reading more and posting less, I have a few comments:
1. I have worked more than 14 hours a day every day this week. You worked .
. .why none. My time is limited and I spend it reading only what I have a
need for or an interest in. Quite often the need overweighs the interest.
Until now, there were things I needed more and was more interested in.
2. I fail to see the logic in suggesting someone read a few basic facts in
response to a request for information so that I can do just that.
3. Since you already have the skills, you tell me who has written more posts
in each location and in aggregate, you or me.

 > You apparently ignored them, and what was posted under
>
> >To get you started, here is the result of "help info":

I did not ignore it. I specifically said I did not see the command
structure and would look more closely later. The statement I made is still
at the top of this post.

> My reply to your question started with your comment on this:

This does not answer the question of how to issue that command. I saw the
command to get commands. What I didn't see is the correct way to send it.
I said that in my previous post too. It's also still at the top of this
post.

> That presumes a reader either knew about the GET command from
> the LISTSERV intro, or read it in Nick's Scuba-L Guideline:

I saved Nick's guideline too. I don't remember seeing the structure for a
command there either, but I intend to look at it more closely also.

> So, I posted the RESULT of "help info" in which you would have
> found info about GET and other commands ... if you had bothered
> to spend just a LITTLE time on it.

And I said thank you, indicated what I had not seen and specifically stated
that I would spend more time with it when I got a chance. Your advice on
bothering to spend time on it indicates a desire to be redundant, a failure
to comprehend what others have said.

> If you don't have the time to read two lines, or half a page
> to find out how to do things, you're not going to know, Lee.

> LIST readers are not BORN with that knowledge. But one must
> have to invest and expend a teeny tiny bit of effort to acquire
> the know how.

Thanks for the confirmation that what I specifically said I was going to do
is, in fact, what I should do. Now ask yourself whether there was a need to
turn a constructive, helpful post for which you have been thanked into an
opportunity to criticize, particularly when your criticism completely
ignored what the one and only post done after you gave the information said.
Don't tell me the answer, I already know it. To be honest, I expected a
private mail with a sample posting even though I said I would research it
further myself. I did not expect what I got.

Lee